SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –A pair of seniors captured the November Summit League Athlete of the Month awards announced by league officials Thursday. South Dakota State's Mike Daum earned the honor on the men's side, while South Dakota's Taylor Wilson claimed the award on the women's side.
Daum started eight games and averaged a double-double of 24.1 points and 11.3 rebounds per game, dishing out 2.1 assists per game as well during November. He shot 50 percent from the field, just shy of 40 percent beyond the arc and hit 40 of 50 at the charity stripe, while posting a nation-leading six double-doubles. Daum also put together six 20-plus point scoring contests and capped the month with a 26-point, 18-rebound outing in a win over Kansas City. The 18 rebounds were one shy of his career-high.
Wilson guided the Coyotes to the program's first Summit League Championship title and automatic bid to the Division I Women's Volleyball Tournament. She was named the Championship MVP after she hammered down a career-high 24 kills to go with only one error for a .511 hitting percentage to defeat top-seeded Denver in the championship match. She also matched her career-high with seven digs in the title match. On the month, Wilson played in six matches which earned her 85 kills (4.05 kills per set), a .410 hitting percentage (17 errors-166 attempts), 19 digs and 14 total blocks.
Male Athlete of the Month
Mike Daum, South Dakota State
Senior | Forward | Kimball, Neb.
- Led SDSU to a 6-2 start to the season and improved SDSU's nation's best homecourt win streak to 24 games
- Moved into third place on The Summit League's all-time scoring charts and broke the SDSU scoring record previously held by Nate Wolters
- Scored a season-high 41 points in a win over Tulane, which are the most points by a Summit League player this season
Also nominated: Zach Jackson (Omaha), Brandon Gilbeck (Western Illinois), Trey Burch-Manning (South Dakota), Emmanuel Nzekwesi (Oral Roberts)
Female Athlete of the Month
Taylor Wilson, South Dakota
Senior | Middle Blocker | Corydon, Ind.
- Recorded a three-set career-high with 18 kills to go along with a .457 hitting clip in a win over North Dakota on Nov. 9
- Led the Coyotes with 12 kills, only one error, and a .579 hitting percentage in the NCAA Tournament contest against Creighton on Nov. 30
- Her .377 season hitting percentage ranks third on USD's single-season chart and eighth on the Summit League's all-time chart
- Set the school record for career hitting percentage with a .352 clip and ranks sixth in Summit League history
Also nominated: Emma Rafuse (Purdue Fort Wayne), Sadie Limback (Omaha), Lexi Klabo (North Dakota), Lauren Loven (Denver), Macy Miller (South Dakota State)
2018-19 Summit League Athletes of the Month
Male: Andre Shinyashiki / Denver / Soccer
Female: Olivia Swenson / North Dakota / Soccer
Male: Eldon Warner / South Dakota / Cross Country
Female: Emma Rafuse / Purdue Fort Wayne / Cross Country
Male: Mike Daum / South Dakota State / Basketball
Female: Taylor Wilson / South Dakota / Volleyball
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level.