SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Two soccer standouts captured this year's first Summit League Athlete of the Month awards announced by league officials on Thursday. Oral Roberts forward Dante Brigida earned the honor on the men's side, while North Dakota State forward Elyse Huber earned the honor on the women's side.
Brigida picked up his first career monthly honor after leading the Golden Eagles to an 8-1-0 start to the season. He shares the league lead with seven goals and his three game-winning goals rank among the top 10 nationally at the Division I level. He had a pair of multi-goal games in wins over Kansas City and SIUE. ORU is currently ranked fourth in the United Soccer Coaches West Region poll and receiving votes in the Top 25 poll.
Huber helped lead the Bison to a 5-4-1 record through August and September entering league action. After transferring from Nebraska, all Huber has done is score goals. She tied the Summit League record with four goals in a win over Eastern Washington. That accomplishment earned her both the Summit League Player of the Week and the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week. The Sioux City, Iowa native ranks fifth in the nation with 10 goals, third in the country with four game-winning goals, fourth in the nation with 1.11 goals per match and fourth in the country with 2.89 shots on goal per game.
Male Athlete of the Month
Dante Brigida, Oral Roberts
Junior | Forward | Edmond, Okla.
- Shares the lead the league in goals scored with seven
- Ranks in the Top 10 nationally with three game-winning goals
- A two-time Summit League Player of the Week recipient
Also nominated: Kyle Irlbacker, Western Illinois; Merga Gemeda, South Dakota; Van Holmgren, North Dakota State; Joseph Minor-Williams
Female Athlete of the Month
Elyse Huber, North Dakota State
Senior | Forward | Sioux City, Iowa
- Scored 10 goals in nine matches played, including four game-winning goals
- Tied Summit League record with four goals in a win over Eastern Washington
- Ranks fifth in the nation with 10 goals, third in the country with four game-winning goals, fourth in the nation with 1.11 goals per match and fourth in the country with 2.89 shots on goal per game
- Scored multiple goals in three matches
- Named MVP of the TD Bank Classic at Vermont
- A two-time Summit League Player of the Week (Sept. 3 & Sept. 23) and named the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week (Sept. 24)
Also nominated: CeCe Madison, Oral Roberts; Laura Caetano, Purdue Fort Wayne; Madison Jurgens, South Dakota; Anna Zanusso, Denver; Brianna Green, Denver; Maggie Smither, South Dakota State