Video highlight courtesy of Midco Sports Network
Score: No. 1 Oral Roberts 6, No. 3 Fort Wayne 0
Records: Oral Roberts (41-14), Fort Wayne (28-26)
Location: Sioux Falls Stadium – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Top-seeded Oral Roberts shutout No. 3 Fort Wayne, 6-0, to capture The Summit League Baseball Championship presented by First PREMIER Bank/PREMIER Bankcard Saturday afternoon at Sioux Falls Stadium.
The title was the 16th in program history, extending its league record.
The game was scoreless heading into the fourth inning when ORU first baseman Audie Afenir hit a solo home run to left field to put the Golden Eagles up 1-0.
Oral Roberts added two insurance runs in the fifth inning on two singles and a double, making it a 3-0 game.
ORU scored it final three runs of the game in the top of the ninth inning. Matt Brandy hit a two-run homer to left field, scoring Matt Whatley, who walked earlier in the frame. The next batter, Anthony Sequeira, doubled to right center field and later scored on a throwing error.
Fort Wayne nearly scored in the first inning as it had runners on second and third but ORU stymied the attack by throwing out Evan VanSumeren at home plate trying to score on a ball that got away from the catcher.
The Mastodons came right back in the second inning with a leadoff double by Greg Kaiser but were unable to bring him around to score.
An Audie Afenir solo home run in the fourth inning proved to be all the Golden Eagles needed en route to the 6-0 victory.
The senior first baseman hit a line drive down the left field line that snuck over the fence with one out in the inning.
Inside The Box Score
- Derrian James led Oral Roberts with three hits in the game while Evan VanSumeren had two hits to lead Fort Wayne.
- ORU's Bryce Howe (4-1) got the win in his longest outing of the year (7.2 IP) while IPFW's Trevor Storie (4-8) suffered the loss.
- Anthony Sequeira notched his league-leading 11th save of the season and second of the tournament for the Golden Eagles.
- Attendance was 187.
News & Notes
- Oral Roberts claimed its 16th Summit League Tournament title in program history, extending its league record.
- A total of eight home runs have been hit in the tournament, including at least one in each of the six games. The previous two tournaments had only two combined round trippers.
- Fort Wayne ends the season with a 28-26 record, its first winning record since 1998 and just the seventh in program history.
- Oral Roberts improves to 52-2 all-time in the league tournament while Fort Wayne falls to 2-4 all-time.
- This contest marked the first shutout of the tournament.
Matt Brandy, Oral Roberts
Adam Bray, South Dakota State
Reid Clary, South Dakota State
Noah Cummings, Oral Roberts
Bryce Howe, Oral Roberts
Derrian James, Oral Roberts (MVP)
Greg Kaiser, Fort Wayne
Ben Petersen, North Dakota State
Al Robbins, South Dakota State
Anthony Sequeira, Oral Roberts
Guillermo Trujillo, Oral Roberts
Jonathan Valenzuela-Reece, Fort Wayne
Evan VanSumeren, Fort Wayne
Ryan Wells, Fort Wayne
Oral Roberts earns The Summit League's automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament for the 16th time in league history. The NCAA Selection Show airs live on ESPNU on Monday at 11 a.m. CT.