ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota State catcher/designated hitter Luke Ringhofer and Omaha infielder Clayton Taylor were named Summit League Baseball Players of the Week, while Omaha starting pitcher Corey Binger garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of March 7-13.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
LUKE RINGHOFER, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
So. // C/DH // Cottage Grove, Minn.
- Earned his first career Player of the Week award
- Had a pair of multi-hit games and four games with at least one base hit
- Went 3-for-4 with a home run in the series finale against Northern Colorado Sunday and added two hits in the series-opening game Friday
- For the week, batted .412 with a .706 slugging percentage and .583 on-base percentage
- Tallied six runs, four RBI, two doubles and a homer with six walks and a stolen base
CLAYTON TAYLOR, OMAHA
Sr. // IF // Omaha, Neb.
- Recorded his second Player of the Week honor this season and third of his career
- Had a .412 batting average in five games this week and registered at least one hit in each game
- Went 2-for-4 in Tuesday's win at Air Force and added a pair of hits with four RBI and a homer in Saturday's win over Bowling Green
- Tallied a .647 slugging percentage and .565 on-base percentage on the week with seven RBI, four runs scored, four walks along with a double, home run and stolen base
Also nominated: Evan VanSumeren, Fort Wayne; Brayden Resch, North Dakota State; Rolando Martinez, Oral Roberts; Chris Tschida, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Clayton Taylor, UNO; Feb. 29 – Nick Roark, ORU; March 7 – Matt Whatley, ORU
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
COREY BINGER, OMAHA
So. // RHP // Victoria, Minn.
- Notched his first career Pitcher of the Week award
- Tossed a complete game three-hitter in Omaha's 10-1 win over Bowling Green Saturday in the Perfect Game Spring Swing
- Recorded six strikeouts, no walks and just one earned run over nine innings to pick up the win
- His six punch outs are a career-high as he improved to 3-0 on the year
Also nominated: Evan Miller, Fort Wayne; Alex Rogers, North Dakota State; Josh McMinn, Oral Roberts; Landon Busch, South Dakota State; Preston Church, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Luke Lind, NDSU; Feb. 29 – Tyler Fox, UNO/Brady Womacks, ORU; March 7 – Nick Wood, ORU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit the newly re-designed www.thesummitleague.org website, follow Summit League Basketball on Twitter @summithoops and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.