ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts infielder Rolando Martinez was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while South Dakota State reliever Landon Busch garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of March 14-20.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ROLANDO MARTINEZ, ORAL ROBERTS
Sr. // IF // Bakersfield, Calif.
- Earned his first career Summit League Player of the Week award
- Had three multi-hit games over the week, including a three-hit game vs. South Dakota State Saturday
- In five games this week, he recorded three doubles, a triple and drew five walks while driving in four runs and scoring six times.
- Hit .571 for the week with a .700 on-base percentage and slugged .929, helping ORU to a 3-2 record
Also nominated: Evan VanSumeren, Fort Wayne; Mason Pierzchalski, North Dakota State; Cole Gruber, Omaha; Luke Ringhofer, South Dakota State; Connor Currier, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Clayton Taylor, UNO; Feb. 29 – Nick Roark, ORU; March 7 – Matt Whatley, ORU; March 14 – Luke Ringhofer, SDSU/Clayton Taylor, UNO
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
LANDON BUSCH, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // RHP // Brookings, S.D.
- Notched his first career Summit League Pitcher of the Week award
- Tossed three shutout innings of relief to earn a 3-2, 12-inning win in the Jacks' league-opener at Oral Roberts
- Finished with five strikeouts in his three innings, including striking out the side in the 12th inning to preserve the win
- In his last three appearances, he has only allowed one run over his last 11.0 innings pitched (0.82 ERA), striking out 16 while allowing only six hits
Also nominated: Damian Helm, Fort Wayne; Brian Vanderwoude, North Dakota State; Sam Murphy, Omaha; Robert Nunn, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Luke Lind, NDSU; Feb. 29 – Tyler Fox, UNO/Brady Womacks, ORU; March 7 – Nick Wood, ORU; March 14 – Corey Binger, UNO
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit the www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.