ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois outfield Drue Galassi was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while Oral Roberts relief pitcher Grant Glaze garnered the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 17-23.
DRUE GALASSI, WESTERN ILLINOIS
So. // OF // Peoria, Ill.
- Earned his first career Player of the Week honor
- Began the week with two grand slams in a win over SIU Edwardsville
- Went 5-for-5 in the game against the Cougars with five runs, 10 RBI, two homers and a double
- Added a pair of hits in all three games of a weekend series against Fort Wayne
- Had a double and homer in the finale with a double and two walks in game two
- Had a 9-for-9 stretch at the plate come to an end on Friday and is currently in the midst of five straight mulit-hit games
- For the week, batted .647 (11-for-17) with 14 RBI, nine runs scored three doubles, three home runs, three walks and two stolen bases
- Recorded a 1.353 slugging percentage and .700 on-base percentage
Also nominated: Dylan Wilbert, Fort Wayne; Tucker Rohde, North Dakota State; Ryan Cate, Omaha; Trevor McCutchin, Oral Roberts; Nick Smith, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Mason Pierzchalski, NDSU; Feb. 27 – Noah Cummings, ORU; March 6 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU; March 13 – Dylan Snypes, ORU; March 20 – Newt Johnson, SDSU; March 27 – Grant Suponchick, UNO; April 3 – Chris Tschida, WIU; April 10 – Mitch Ellis, WIU; April 17 – Noah Cummings, ORU
GRANT GLAZE, ORAL ROBERTS
Sr. // RHP // Canyon, Texas
- Collected his first career Pitcher of the Week award
- Entered Friday's game at South Dakota State in the second inning and tossed five scoreless innings in relief
- Had a career-high seven strikeouts and allowed just one hit against the Jackrabbits
- Did not allow a base runner in 1.2 innings against Oklahoma State while notching a pair of strikeouts
- For the week, totaled nine strikeouts against two walks, while allowing no runs and just one hit
Also nominated: Jordan Martin, Fort Wayne; Reed Pfannenstein, North Dakota State; Sam Murphy, Omaha; Ian Koch, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; Feb. 27 – Miguel Ausua, ORU; March 6 – Justin McGregor, ORU; March 13 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Luke Lind, NDSU; March 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; March 27 – Sam Murphy, UNO; April 3 – Corey Binger, UNO; April 10 – Ethan Kenkel, SDSU; April 17 – Justin McGregor, ORU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.