ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois catcher Adam McGinnis was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while Oral Roberts starting pitcher Miguel Ausua and Western Illinois reliever Pete Minella garnered the Pitcher of the Week awards for their performances during the week of May 1-7.
ADAM MCGINNIS, WESTERN ILLINOIS
Sr. // C // Normal, Ill.
- Earned his first career Player of the Week honor
- Drove-in a career-high six runs in Sunday's series finale at South Dakota State with a pair of home runs
- Scored two runs Saturday vs. the Jackrabbits and a pair in a win over Iowa
- For the week, had a 1.062 slugging percentage, .474 on-base percentage and batted .375 (6-for-16)
- Totaled 8 RBI, seven runs scored, three homers, two doubles, three walks and a stolen base with no errors and just one strikeout
- Had a hit and run scored in all four games
Also nominated: Dylan Wilbert, Fort Wayne; Bennett Hostetler, North Dakota State; Nate Mallott, Omaha; Nick Roark, Oral Roberts; Tony Kjolsing, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Mason Pierzchalski, NDSU; Feb. 27 – Noah Cummings, ORU; March 6 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU; March 13 – Dylan Snypes, ORU; March 20 – Newt Johnson, SDSU; March 27 – Grant Suponchick, UNO; April 3 – Chris Tschida, WIU; April 10 – Mitch Ellis, WIU; April 17 – Noah Cummings, ORU; April 24 – Drue Galassi, WIU; May 1 – Matt Whatley, ORU
MIGUEL AUSUA, ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // LHP // Penuelas, Puerto Rico
- Collected his second career Pitcher of the Week award
- Earned his league-leading ninth win of the season in Sunday's victory at North Dakota State
- Tossed seven innings allowing just five hits with six strikeouts against two walks and no runs
PETE MINELLA, WESTERN ILLINOIS
So. // LHP // Western Springs, Ill.
- Recorded his first career Pitcher of the Week award
- Pitched four innings in relief with six strikeouts, no walk and two hits Friday at South Dakota State to earn his fifth save on the year
- Notched the win in Wednesday's victory over Iowa with two innings of work
- For the week, tossed six innings with just three hits, seven strikeouts and no walks
Also nominated: Brandon Phelps, Fort Wayne; Reed Pfannenstein, North Dakota State; Cal Hehnke, Omaha
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; Feb. 27 – Miguel Ausua, ORU; March 6 – Justin McGregor, ORU; March 13 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Luke Lind, NDSU; March 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; March 27 – Sam Murphy, UNO; April 3 – Corey Binger, UNO; April 10 – Ethan Kenkel, SDSU; April 17 – Justin McGregor, ORU; April 24 – Grant Glaze, ORU; May 1 – Luke Lind, NDSU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.