ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha outfielder Thomas DeBonville was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while North Dakota State starter Riley Johnson earned the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances March 19-25.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Thomas DeBonville, Omaha
Jr. // OF // Silverthorne, Colo.
- Collected his first career Player of the Week award
- Recorded a hit in all three games in the series win over Oral Roberts
- Went 3-for-5 with a triple and home run in the series finale against the Golden Eagles
- Had a double in game two with a pair of stolen bases in game one
- Leads the league in steals with eight on the year
- For the week, batted .417 (5-for-12) with a .917 slugging percentage and .500 on-base percentage
Also nominated: Shannon Baker, Fort Wayne; Matt Elsenpeter, North Dakota State; Nick Roark, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Spencer Henson, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Logan Busch, North Dakota State; March 5 – Mason Pierzchalski, North Dakota State; March 12 – Riley Keizor, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Braden Rogers, Omaha
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Riley Johnson, North Dakota State
So. // RHP // Apple Valley, Minn.
- Secured his second Pitcher of the Week honor this season and of his career
- Went seven innings with a career-high nine strikeouts in North Dakota State's 2-1 win at Fort Wayne on Friday
- Did not allow a run and surrendered just two walks and one extra base hit for his third win of the season
Also nominated: Brandon Phelps, Fort Wayne; Spencer Koelewyn, Omaha; Taylor Varnell, Oral Roberts; Brady Moxham, South Dakota State; Ian Koch, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; March 5 – Payton Kinney, Omaha; March 12 – Kyler Stout, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Spencer Koelewyn, Omaha/Ryan Dunne, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.