ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota State outfielder Phil Velez was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while North Dakota State starting pitcher Blake Stockert earned the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances April 2-8.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Phil Velez, South Dakota State
Sr. // OF // Des Moines, Iowa
- Earned his first career Player of the Week honor
- Batted a robust .857 (6-for-7) with a 1.429 slugging percentage and .778 on-base percentage in South Dakota State's two wins over Fort Wayne
- Lone out of the week was a sacrifice fly
- Belted a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of Sunday's 13-9 Jackrabbit victory
- Went a perfect 4-for-4 in the second game of the series
- For the week, had seven RBI, four runs scored, a double, homer and no strikeouts
Also nominated: Shannon Baker, Fort Wayne; Nick Roark, Oral Roberts; Alex Dorethy, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Spencer Henson, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Logan Busch, North Dakota State; March 5 – Mason Pierzchalski, North Dakota State; March 12 – Riley Keizor, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Braden Rogers, Omaha; March 26 – Thomas DeBonville, Omaha; April 2 – Noah Cummings, Oral Roberts
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Blake Stockert, North Dakota State
Sr. // LHP // Alexandria, Minn.
- Recorded his first career Pitcher of the Week award
- Went the distance to earn his first career complete game shutout in North Dakota State's 2-0 win at Omaha in game two of the series
- Allowed just three hits (all singles) in nine innings with no runs and six strikeouts
Also nominated: Joey Machado, Omaha; Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Brady Stover, South Dakota State; Javin Drake, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; March 5 – Payton Kinney, Omaha; March 12 – Kyler Stout, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Spencer Koelewyn, Omaha/Ryan Dunne, Western Illinois; March 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; April 2 – Shane Odzark, Fort Wayne
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.