ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota State shortstop Tony Kjolsing and Western Illinois designated hitter Alex Dorethy were named The Summit League's Players of the Week while Oral Roberts reliever Kyler Stout earned the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances April 30 – May 6.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Tony Kjolsing, South Dakota State
Sr. // SS // Chaska, Minn.
- Garnered his second career Player of the Week award and first this season
- Had three multi-hit games in South Dakota State's series sweep of Omaha
- Belted a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning Friday to give the Jackrabbits a 5-4 win
- Added another homer in game two with three RBI, while recording three hits, including a double in the series finale
- For the week, batted .636 (7-for-11) with a 1.273 slugging percentage and .667 on-base percentage
- Totaled six RBI, three runs, three walks, two homers, a double and a stolen base with no errors in the field
Alex Dorethy, Western Illinois
Fr. // DH // Ipava, Ill.
- Collected his first career Player of the Week honor
- Batted .636 (7-for-11) with a 1.273 slugging percentage and 1.909 OPS in Western Illinois' series sweep over Fort Wayne
- Went 3-for-4 with a home run and a pair of RBI and runs scored in game two
- Added two hits in games one and three with another homer and a double
- For the week, totaled six RBI, four runs scored, two home runs and a double
Also nominated: Keil Krumwiede, Omaha; Cal Hernandez, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Spencer Henson, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Logan Busch, North Dakota State; March 5 – Mason Pierzchalski, North Dakota State; March 12 – Riley Keizor, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Braden Rogers, Omaha; March 26 – Thomas DeBonville, Omaha; April 2 – Noah Cummings, Oral Roberts; April 9 – Phil Velez, South Dakota State; April 16 – Josh Falk, South Dakota State; April 23 – Mike Snyder, Fort Wayne/Nick Roark, Oral Roberts; April 30 – Carter Thompson, North Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Kyler Stout, Oral Roberts
Sr. // RHP // Broken Arrow, Okla.
- Earned his third career Pitcher of the Week award and second this season
- Recorded three saves in three appearances this week as Oral Roberts capped a perfect 4-0 record
- Tossed 1.2 innings with three strikeouts and no walks in a win over No. 12 Oklahoma State
- Earned saves in the series opener and series finale at North Dakota State
- Collected three saves on the week, pitching 3.2 innings, allowing two hits with three strikeouts and one walk
- Leads the league with a career-best 12 saves
Also nominated: Cal Hehnke, Omaha; Alex Marro, South Dakota State; Javin Drake, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; March 5 – Payton Kinney, Omaha; March 12 – Kyler Stout, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Spencer Koelewyn, Omaha/Ryan Dunne, Western Illinois; March 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; April 2 – Shane Odzark, Fort Wayne; April 9 – Blake Stockert, North Dakota State; April 16 – Miguel Ausua, Oral Roberts; April 23 – Cal Hehnke, Omaha; April 30 – Miguel Ausua, Oral Roberts
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.