ELMHURST, Ill. – The Denver Pioneers seized the season's final Summit League Golfer of the Week awards, with junior Sophie Newlove and sophomore Eric Hagen being recognized for their individual play during tournament action April 13-15.
Newlove earned her second weekly accolade of the season after a 10-over-par 226 performance at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic in Athens, Ga., last weekend. Newlove began the tournament with an impressive even-par 72 round thanks in part to four-consecutive birdies on holes No. 8 through 11. A product of Nottingham, England, Newlove ended her 2017-18 regular season with round scores of 78 and 76.
This week's league honor marked the first of Hagen's career, with the Aberdeen, Wash., native turning in a 3-over 216 scorecard in Tempe at the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational (April 14-15). Hagen opened the tournament with a 5-over 76 scorecard, but immediately followed up with back-to-back 1-under 70's during second- and third-round action. With his 54-hole 216 score, Hagen ended the ASU Thunderbird Invite tied for 34th in the 85-golfer field.
Hagen found his groove on the Karsten Golf Course's back-9, putting in for birdie eight times on the last half of the course for a 2-under tournament tally. For the week, Hagen managed 10 total birdies and an even-72 scoring average.
Sophie Newlove, DENVER
Jr. // Nottingham, England
- Competed at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic (April 13-15)
- Registered consecutive rounds of 72-78-76 for a 10-over 226 scorecard
- Finished the tournament tied for 33rd with an average round score of 75.3
- Ranks fourth in The Summit League this season with a 74.0 scoring average
- Third-career Summit League Golfer of the Month/Week honor
Previous Winners: Natalie Roth, North Dakota State – September // Sophie Newlove, Denver – October // Lauren Whyte, Denver – Jan. 31 // Paige Bird, Fort Wayne – Feb. 7 // Abby Dufrane, South Dakota – Feb. 14 // Mary Weinstein, Denver – Feb. 21 // Cassidy Laidlaw, South Dakota State & Lexi Petersen, South Dakota – Feb. 28 // Teresa Toscano, South Dakota State – March 8 // Teresa Toscano, South Dakota State – March 15 // Sydney Bormann, South Dakota State – March 22 // Mary Weinstein, Denver – March 28 // Jenna Kurosky, Fort Wayne – April 4 // Emma Groom, North Dakota State – April 11
Eric Hagen, DENVER
So. // Aberdeen, Wash.
- Competed at the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational (April 14-15)
- Shot a three-round score of 3-over 216 (76-70-70)
- Averaged a round score of 72—3.5 strokes better than his season average
- Turned in 10 birdies in 54 holes (18.5 percent)
- Jumped 14 spots on the individual leaderboard following his third round
- First-career Summit League Men's Golfer of the Week honor
Also Nominated: Tommy Vining, South Dakota
Previous Winners: Tommy Vining, South Dakota – September and October // Jacob Michel, South Dakota – Jan. 31 // Drew Eaton, Western Illinois – Feb. 14 // Van Holmgren, North Dakota State – Feb. 21 // Drew Eaton, Western Illinois – Feb. 28 // Eric Brinker, Fort Wayne – March 8 // Chris Korte, Denver – March 15 // Andrew Israelson, North Dakota State – March 22 // Nick Myhre, North Dakota State – March 28 // Mike Biata, Oral Roberts – April 4 // Tommy Vining, South Dakota – April 11