WEEKLY NOTEBOOK: NO. 5 (w/Stats)
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- South Dakota State senior Mike Daum continues to rack up the accolades and has guided the Jackrabbits to four-consecutive wins in doing so. Daum repeated as The Summit League Player of the Week and was also named the Lute Olson National Player of the Week for his efforts in blowout victories over Kansas City (75-47) and Northern Iowa (82-50). The latter came at the U.S. Bank Classic in Minneapolis and was played in a building where every team in the country would like to end up playing in the first week in April. He finished that contest with 24 points and 11 rebounds and entered the week leading the nation in double-doubles with seven.
Daum is also closing in on The Summit League's all-time scoring record as he only needs 56 points to surpass Oral Roberts' Caleb Green (2003-07), who has owned the record at 2,504 for just over a decade. His next chance to chip away at that record comes on Tuesday at Memphis in a game that is being streamed on ESPN3.
FIVE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED ...
• Western Illinois has the highest-scoring sophomore duo in the league as both Kobe Webster (17.0 ppg) and Isaac Johnson (15.0 ppg) rank among the top 10 Summit League scorers in non-conference play. Those two underclassmen led WIU to a pair of wins last week over SIUE and on the road at Southeast Missouri State.
• South Dakota sophomore Stanley Umude led the Yotes to a Summit League-WAC Challenge series triumph over CSU Bakersfield. Umude came off the bench to register career-highs in points (19) and rebounds (8).
• Purdue Fort Wayne is leading The Summit League in scoring at 82.3 ppg and reached the century mark for the third time season in a 104-60 win over Eastern Illinois (Nov. 28).
• North Dakota State's Vinnie Shahid nearly led a massive comeback for the Bison against Drake in the U.S. Bank Classic, but his career-high, 29-point effort was not enough as Drake's clutch free-throw shooting late in the game provided the Bulldogs with a 95-88 win.
• Omaha senior Zach Jackson has reached double figures in all eight games and was one of three Summit League players averaging 20-plus points per game entering the week (20.1 ppg). He notched a career-high 33 points in a home winover Montana State (Nov. 24).
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (TV/Streaming) | Game times local to site
Monday, December 3
Iowa State 81, North Dakota State 59
Tuesday, December 4
South Dakota State at Memphis (E3) 7 p.m.
South Dakota at Colorado (Pac-12) 7 p.m.
Wednesday, December 5
Denver at Air Force 7 p.m.
North Dakota at UTRGV (WACDN) 7 p.m.
Akron at Purdue Fort Wayne 7 p.m.
Florida Gulf Coast at Oral Roberts (KGEB/E3) 7 p.m.
Western Illinois at Stetson 7 p.m.
Thursday, December 6
Omaha at Seattle U (WACDN) 7 p.m.
Friday, December 7
Oral Roberts at Missouri (SEC) 6 p.m.
Southern at South Dakota State 7 p.m.
Saturday, December 8
Kansas City at South Dakota 1 p.m.
Purdue Fort Wayne at Miami (Ohio) 2 p.m.
Omaha at Oregon (Pac-12) 5 p.m.
Eastern Washington at North Dakota State (MSN2/E+) 7 p.m.
Eastern Illinois at Western Illinois 7 p.m.
Sunday, December 9
Western State at Denver 1 p.m.
Milwaukee at North Dakota (FSN/E+) 3 p.m.
SUMMIT POINTS ...
THE SUMMIT LEAGUE/WAC CHALLENGE HITS THE BACK STRETCH
After going 2-1 on Dec. 1, The WAC now holds a 4-2 lead in the challenge series with The Summit League. South Dakota picked up the lone win on that day for The Summit League, posting a 68-56 win over CSU Bakersfield. Utah Valley and Kansas City picked up wins for the WAC, knocking off Denver and Purdue Fort Wayne, respectively. Cal Baptist's Milan Acquaah has provided the biggest dramatics in the series when his buzzer-beater gave the Lancers a 70-69 victory over Oral Roberts on Nov. 13.
It didn't take long for the inaugural series to get underway as both leagues' preseason favorites picked up wins on opening night of the college basketball season. South Dakota State held off Grand Canyon, who was picked second in the WAC preseason poll, 79-74 while NM State defeated North Dakota State 73-56 later that night to even the series at 1-1.
THE NET RESULTS
This is the first week for the NCAA's new "NET" rankings system, which replaced the RPI from year's past. Through games of Nov. 26, here's how The Summit League members stacked up:
South Dakota State (143)
South Dakota (194)
North Dakota State (210)
Western Illinois (217)
Purdue Fort Wayne (283)
North Dakota (303)
Oral Roberts (325)
The rankings can be found here and are updated daily.
NOTING THE PIONEERS
• The Pioneers will look to snap a three-game skid on Wednesday as they travel south to Colorado Springs to take on Air Force.
• The latest loss was a 98-75 setback to Utah Valley. DU played its fifth-straight game without senior Joe Rosga -- a preseason All-Summit League selection.
• The Pioneers did get the services of Colorado transfer Tory Stewart-Miller for the first time as he made his DU debut in the loss to the Wolverines. Stewart-Miller played 16 minutes, scoring four points and pulling down two rebounds after missing the first seven games of the season with an injury.
• Creighton transfer Ronnie Harrell, Jr., continues to pace the team in scoring (15.5 ppg), while sophomore Donoven Carlisle paces the team on the glass (5.6 rpg).
NOTING THE FIGHTING HAWKS
• UND has dropped three straight after a 4-1 start to the season.
• The Fighting Hawks will look to rebound in Edinburg, Texas on Wednesday when they take on UT Rio Grande Valley as part of The Summit League-WAC Challenge.
• The Vaqueros, who were then identified as UT Pan American and nicknamed the Broncs, and Fighting Hawks were both members of the Great West Conference from 2009-12.
• Freshman Filip Rebraca made his third start of the season in a 67-54 loss to Idaho, finishing with a career-high 19 points against the Vandals
• Classmate Aanen Moody has 21 made 3-pointers on the season, which is third among Summit League players in non-conference play.
• Entering the week, UND was shooting 48.7 percent from the field and 38.3 percent from 3-point range, which only trailed South Dakota State in The Summit League rankings.
NOTING THE BISON
• The Bison return home for just the second time this season when they take on Big Sky-foe Eastern Washington on Saturday. NDSU won its only other home tilt this season -- an 82-63 win over UC Santa Barbara.
• JUCO-transfer Vinnie Shahid has taken over the team scoring lead, averaging 10.9 ppg. Shahid has seen that average rise to that mark after a three-game stretch where he averaged 18.0 ppg.
• Shahid scored a career-high 29 points vs. Drake in the U.S. Bank Classic in Minneapolis this past Saturday. Deng Geu also established a career-high with 21 points, but the Bison fell to the Bulldogs, 95-88.
• NDSU went straight to Ames, Iowa following that tilt and dropped an 81-59 decision to Iowa State on Monday.
NOTING THE MAVERICKS
• The Mavericks will have endured an 8-day break before taking on Seattle U in their Summit League-WAC Challenge game in the Emerald City on Thursday.
• Omaha will remain in the Pacific Northwest and take on Oregon two days later.
• The Mavs are coming off a pair of losses to Power 6 programs, but those were preceded by wins over Bethune-Cookman and Montana State.
• Senior Zach Jackson has reached double figures in all eight games and was one of three Summit League players averaging 20-plus points per game entering the week (20.1 ppg). He notched a career-high 33 points in a home win over Montana State (Nov. 24).
• Sophomore Matt Pile had a season-high 15 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the floor at Arizona State. He's reached double figures in half of Omaha's contests this season.
NOTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES
• Oral Roberts returns home for the first time in just over two weeks to take on Florida Gulf Coast Wednesday.
• The Golden Eagles are led in scoring by junior Emmanuel Nzekwesi at 14.8 ppg and he's also pulling down a team-high 7.5 rpg (third in Summit League).
• Nzekwesi has also been a force on the offensive glass and ORU leads all Summit League teams in that category, averaging 10.8 offensive rebounds per game.
• Freshman Kevin Obanor is averaging 2.3 offensive rebounds per game to lead the team, while Nzekwesi is close behind at 2.1/g.
NOTING THE MASTODONS
• Purdue Fort Wayne owns a .500 record through 10 non-conference games and is the top scoring unit among Summit League teams.
• Head coach Jon Coffman has used the same starting lineup for all 10 of those contests.
• The Mastodons are averaging 83.2 ppg and have a trio of players averaging 12-plus ppg.
• Senior John Konchar is leading those efforts with a 16.4 ppg average. He is also second among Summit League players in rebounding (8.7 rpg) and first in assists (5.2 apg).
• Konchar's classmate, Kason Harrell, is averaging a career-best 15.0 ppg, while fellow upperclassmen Matt Holba is chipping in 12.1 ppg.
• The Mastodons also lead the league in assists (17.4/g) and steals (8.4/g).
NOTING THE COYOTES
• USD has a road tilt at Colorado on Tuesday before returning home to take on a Kansas City squad on Saturday that will be playing its third Summit League team.
• The Coyotes picked up the second win for The Summit League in the challenge series with the WAC on Saturday, knocking off CSU Bakersfield by a dozen.
• A career-night from sophomore Stanley Umude was a big reason for the win over the Roadrunners. In 31 minutes off the bench, Umude scored a career-high 19 points and pulled down a career-high eight rebounds.
• Senior Trey Burch-Manning is averaging 11.7 ppg in three home games, but has upped that to 19.8 ppg in games away from Vermillion this season.
NOTING THE JACKRABBITS
• The Jackrabbits won their two games last week by an average of 30.0 ppg and did not allow either opponent to score more than 50 points.
• SDSU will take to the road for a Tuesday night tilt against Memphis. It will be just the Jacks' second true road game of the season.
• Sophomore David Jenkins returned to the lineup after a one-game absence to score 16 points in the win over Northern Iowa on Saturday at the U.S Bank Classic.
• Senior Mike Daum led the Jacks in that one with 24 points and 11 rebounds. It was his nation-leading seventh double-double of the season.
NOTING THE FIGHTING LEATHERNECKS
• The Leathernecks will go for their third-straight win on Saturday when they return to action in The Sunshine State at Stetson.
• WIU will then look to avenge an overtime loss at Eastern Illinois on Saturday when they host the Panthers.
• WIU picked up wins over SIUE and at SEMO last week to even its record at 4-4.
• Sophomore Isaac Johnson has been a steady performer early in the season and ranks eighth among Summit League players with a 15.0 ppg scoring average. He averaged 19.0 ppg in those two wins last week and scored a season-high 20 points in the win over SIUE.
• Classmate Kobe Webster is fourth in the league in scoring at 17.0 ppg and the duo of Johnson and Webster make up the top scoring sophomores in the league.
February 21, 2019 Pile, Webster named to Google Cloud Academic All-District Teams
February 19, 2019 Basketball Championships: Single-session tickets go on sale Feb. 26
February 19, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 16
February 12, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 15
February 11, 2019 Gilbeck, Obanor share weekly #SummitMBB honor
February 6, 2019 Daum among 10 male finalists for Senior CLASS Award®
February 5, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 14
February 4, 2019 Konchar collects third weekly honor of the season
January 29, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 13
January 28, 2019 Daum ties single-season league record with seventh weekly honor
January 22, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 12
January 21, 2019 Daum garners sixth #SummitMBB weekly honor of the season
January 15, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 11
January 14, 2019 Umude grabs his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 8, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 10
January 7, 2019 Nzekwesi secures #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 1, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 9
December 31, 2018 Konchar nets second straight Player of the Week honor
December 28, 2018 UND, NDSU home men’s basketball games postponed
December 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 8
December 23, 2018 1,000-rebound duo shares #SummitMBB weekly honor
December 18, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 7
December 17, 2018 Hahn, Kelley share #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
December 11, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 6
December 10, 2018 Daum ties #SummitMBB record with 15th Player of the Week award
December 6, 2018 Veteran duo dominates in November to earn monthly accolades
December 4, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 5
December 3, 2018 Daum secures third Player of the Week award of the season
November 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 4
November 26, 2018 Daum, Jackson share Player of the Week award
November 20, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 3
November 19, 2018 Gilbeck corrals his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
November 13, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 2
November 12, 2018 Daum nets 12th career #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
November 6, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 1
October 19, 2018 2018-19 Basketball Media Day
October 16, 2018 Summit League and WAC announce Men's Basketball Challenge series
October 4, 2018 South Dakota State picked to repeat as Summit League Champs
September 27, 2018 Basketball Media Day set for Oct. 22 in Sioux Falls
July 26, 2018 Summit League Announces 2018-19 MBB and WBB Schedules
July 25, 2018 Flack Signs Pro Deal Overseas