WEEKLY NOTEBOOK: No. 9 (w/stats)
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Mother Nature tried to derail the opening week of #SummitMBB play, but all seven contests were completed with the road team coming out victorious four times during the opening batch of games. Purdue Fort Wayne's John Konchar led the road-team charge by averaging 28.0 ppg in a pair of wins for Purdue Fort Wayne over North Dakota and North Dakota State. South Dakota State and Oral Roberts also picked up key road wins. There's plenty of action in store for week two as a pair of games will take place on four of the next five days starting Wednesday with South Dakota at Denver and North Dakota State at Omaha.
FIVE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED...
• Purdue Fort Wayne's John Konchar has been named the #SummitMBB Player of the Week seven times during his career, but this is the first time the senior has earned the accolade in back-to-back weeks. His seven career honors are now tied for the fifth most in Summit League history.
• South Dakota State's David Jenkins, Jr., is shooting a 51.3 percent from 3-point range which is tops in The Summit League. His 41 makes from beyond the arc are also the most among league players.
• Summit League players have accounted for 50 double-doubles so far this season. South Dakota State's Tevin King and North Dakota's Marlon Stewart have the only two that were of the points-assists variety. The other 48 have been points-rebounds with South Dakota State's Mike Daum leading the country in those with 11.
• Oral Roberts junior Emmanuel Nzekwesi scored a career-high 28 points and pulled down a season-high 14 rebounds in the Golden Eagles' road win at Omaha to open #SummitMBB play. Road teams went 4-3 during the opening slate of league play, including Purdue Fort Wayne's two wins in the Peace Garden State.
• Omaha's J.T. Gibson poured in back-to-back 20-point performances to open Summit League play. He had only one such outing in the Mavericks' first 13 contests.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (TV/Stream; all times local to site)
Wednesday, Jan. 2
South Dakota at Denver* (Altitude) 7 p.m.
North Dakota State at Omaha* 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3
North Dakota at Oral Roberts* 7 p.m.
South Dakota State at Purdue Fort Wayne* 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, January 5
North Dakota at Denver* (Altitude2) 1 p.m.
Western Illinois at Oral Roberts* 7 p.m.
Sunday, January 6
Dickinson State at North Dakota State 2 p.m.
SDSU at South Dakota* (MSN/E+) 3:30 p.m.
Friday, December 28
(17-MM) SDSU 100, Western Illinois 58*
Omaha 91, Denver 84*
Saturday, December 29
Purdue Fort Wayne 84, North Dakota 73*
NDSU 71, South Dakota 65*
Sunday, December 30
Purdue Fort Wayne 90, NDSU 87 (ot)*
Western Illinois 78, Denver 60*
Oral Roberts 87, Omaha 84*
THE NET RESULTS
Here's a look at how Summit League members are stacking up in the NCAA's new "NET" rankings system, which replaced the RPI from year's past.
NOTING THE PIONEERS
NOTING THE FIGHTING HAWKS
NOTING THE BISON
NOTING THE MAVERICKS
NOTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES
• The Mastodons picked up a road sweep in the Peace Garden State to open #SummitMBB play.
NOTING THE COYOTES
NOTING THE JACKRABBITS
NOTING THE LEATHERNECKS