NEWTON, Kan. – For the fourth straight year, the Summit League men's golf champion will be crowned following 54 holes played on the Sand Creek Station Golf Course. The 2019 Men's Golf Championship begins this Sunday and will wrap up Tuesday with one of the Summit League's nine teams holding a trophy and earning the league's automatic bid to NCAA Regionals.
North Dakota State will look to defend its 2018 championship title -- the first in its program history -- against a field where the top four seeds' overall team stroke averages from the regular season are only separated by two strokes.
The Bison (294.12) will be the No. 4 seed based on the final Golfstat rankings, while Denver (294.45), who NDSU held off by two strokes at last year's championship, will be the top seed. South Dakota (293.33) will be in the final group during Sunday's first round
Oral Roberts, who owned the league's best stroke average at 292.06, will be the No. 2 seed. The Golden Eagles are led by senior Cody Burrows and his 71.25 stroke average. Burrows has a league-best six top-five finishes so far in his final collegiate season.
Joining the Bison in the second wave of teams is fifth-seeded South Dakota State (299.18) and sixth-seeded Purdue Fort Wayne (298.44). Omaha (296.86), who will be the No. 7 seed, also enters the championship with a team stroke average under 300.
Rounding out the final wave is Western Illinois (300.81), who was the only Summit League with two players to claim individual titles during the regular season and league newcomer North Dakota (311.96), who will make its championship debut after spending the last six seasons in the Big Sky.
For more information related to the 2019 Summit League Men's Golf Championship, please see the links below:
- Championship Central
- Tournament Live Stats
- Tournament Tee Times
- 2018-19 Season Stats
- Sand Creek Station Course Information
WHAT TO KNOW – CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION
- Four different teams have won the men's golf championship in the past five years with South Dakota State the only one to claim a pair of titles after going back-to-back at Sand Creek Station in 2016 and 2017.
- Purdue Fort Wayne's Zach Schroeder is back to defend his Championship MVP honor from a year ago after winning with a 214 (-2) total. Schroeder won his final tune-up before heading to Kansas, capturing medalist honors at the Wright State Invitational (April 15-16) after shooting a Mastodons' 36-hole scoring record 136 (-4).
- Schroeder was one of three Summit League student-athletes to win individual titles that weekend as he was joined by Western Illinois' Jackson Wetherbee and South Dakota State's Jared Nicolls.
- Wetherbee won his final Beu Mussato Invitational on his home course, finishing with a 36-hole total of 139 (-5), while Nicolls shared medalist honors at the Get-R-Done Husker Invitational with a 36-hole total of 140 (-2).
- Wetherbee is one of six all-league performers from 2018 that will be at Sand Creek Station this week. A trio of first teamers that include Oral Roberts' Cody Burrows, North Dakota State's Andrew Israelson and South Dakota's Tommy Vining will be joined by a trio of second teamers that include Wetherbee, North Dakota State's Van Holmgren and South Dakota's Matt Tolan.
- The only other player to win an individual title during the regular season was Western Illinois' Kyle Irlbacker, who won the Savannah State Spring Fling with a 71 (-1) during the 18-hole event.
- Schroeder is one of four 2018 All-Tournament Team honorees back to compete in 2019. Omaha's Thirawat Chantrakantanond (t4th; 221, +5), South Dakota's Scott Fudenberg (3rd; 220, +4) and North Dakota State's Andrew Israelson (2nd; 219, +3) join Schroeder to make up that quartet.