SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – North Dakota State's Van Holmgren and Denver's Anna Zanusso both won tournaments during the opening month of the collegiate golf season and, for those efforts, earned The Summit League's initial Male and Female Golfer of the Month honor, respectively.
Holmgren captured medalist honors at the Crusader Collegiate thanks to a career-best 66 in his final round. The junior would win the 54-hole event by four strokes and his 207 (-9) total was tied for the second-best in NDSU history. His first-collegiate victory also helped the Bison set a new 18-hole team scoring record with a 274 (-14).
Zanusso posted a 70.33 stroke average in two events, which included a victory in just her second collegiate event at the Golfweek Conference Challenge. The rookie carded a 205 (-11) to win the 54-hole event, closing it out with a 68 (-4). She completed all three of her rounds in the 60's to help the 19th-ranked Pioneers to a fourth-place finish.
The Castlefranco Veneto, Italy native tied for 22nd (217; +1) in her collegiate debut at the Washington State Cougar Cup.
Male Golfer of the Month
Van Holmgren, North Dakota State
Jr. | Plymouth, Minn.
• First Golfer of the Month accolade to go three career weekly honors
• Fired career-best 66 (-6) to close out first collegiate victory at Crusader Collegiate
• Posted second best 54-hole total in NDSU history to record first win (207; -9)
Female Golfer of the Month
Anna Zanusso, Denver
Fr. | Castlefranco Veneto, Italy
• First Golfer of the Month accolade
• First collegiate victory came in just second career start
• Her 70.3 stroke average was tops among league golfers during the opening month