Score: No. 1 Denver 2, No. 3 Oral Roberts 0
Records: Denver (15-0-3), Oral Roberts (7-7-4)
Location: CIBER Field – Denver, Colo.
video courtesy of the University of Denver
DENVER – Top seeded Denver claimed its third consecutive Summit League Men's Soccer Championship title with a 2-0 win over No. 3 Oral Roberts (7-7-4) Saturday, at CIBER Field in Denver.
With the win, the Pioneers improve to 15-0-3 on the year to remain the lone unbeaten team in Division I. DU also extends its home unbeaten streak to 29 matches, the longest active in the NCAA.
Following a scoreless, back-and-forth first half, Denver struck just 2:52 into the second half. After an Oral Roberts foul just outside the box, DU's Karsten Hanlin netted his fifth goal of the season off a free kick from 27 yards out.
DU's Alex Underwood narrowly missed a goal in the 64th minute but was stymied by Golden Eagle goalie, Ben LaCourse.
Denver net minder Dan Jackson, the Tournament MVP, made a pair of key saves on headers by Tarik Salkicic (67th minute) and Alex White (70th minute) to preserve the shutout.
In the 70th minute, Underwood finally connected as he took a pass from Chandler Crosswait down the right side and netted it from 18 yards away to provide an insurance goal for DU.
After a back-and-forth scoreless first half, Denver got the momentum with a quick second half goal in the 48th minute. Karsten Hanlin drilled a free kick from 27 yards out past the Oral Roberts goalkeeper, Ben LaCourse, for the eventual game-winner.
Amadeo Carbo, Western Illinois
Chandler Crosswait, Denver
Scott Devoss, Denver
Dan Jackson, Denver
Edgardo Mira, Oral Roberts
Mark Moulton, Omaha
Cole Nelson, Omaha
Tarik Salkicic, Oral Roberts
Jordan Schweitzer, Denver
Drew Whalen, Western Illinois
Alex White, Oral Roberts
Inside The Box Score
- Denver held a slim 11-10 shot advantage with 15 of the 21 total shots coming in the second period. Meanwhile, the Pioneers had a 5-1 corner kick advantage.
- Both goalies recorded three saves while team fouls were also even at 13 apiece.
- Tarik Salkicic led Oral Roberts with three shots while Karsten Hanlin and Alex Underwood each had three for Denver.
- Attendance was 674.
News & Notes
- This marked the fifth consecutive year the No. 1 and 3 seeds advanced to the league title match.
- Denver improved to 6-0-0 all-time in league tournament history and won its third-straight championship. Of those six wins, five have been shutouts.
- The Pioneers record their seventh-straight shutout and 12th on the year.
- Oral Roberts has advanced to the championship match five times in program history.
- With seven consecutive shutouts, Denver extends its scoreless streak to 702:18, the longest run in DU's Division I history.
- The Pioneers (15-0-3) remain the lone unbeaten team in Division I and extended its home unbeaten streak to 29 matches, which is the longest active streak in the nation.
The Denver Pioneers earn The Summit League's automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Selection Show airs Monday at Noon CT on NCAA.com.