ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha forward Elvir Ibisevic was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Denver defender Dan Mooney and Omaha defender Stephen Siy garnered the Defensive Player of the Week awards for their performances Aug. 25-27. The awards are the first of the 2017 season.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha
So. // F // Johnston, Iowa
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week honor
- Recorded the program's first-ever hat trick in Sunday's 5-1 win over No. 8 Virginia Tech
- Added an assist on the fourth goal vs. the Hokies
- Set single-match program records for goals (3) and points (7)
- His hat trick was the second-fastest to start a match (10:01) in NCAA Division I history
Also nominated: Andre Shinyashiki, Denver; Alex Castaneda, Eastern Illinois; Romain Lopez, Fort Wayne; Santiago Riveros, Oral Roberts; Drew Whalen, Western Illinois
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Dan Mooney, Denver
So. // D // Indianapolis, Ind.
- Captured his first career Defensive Player of the Week award
- Led a defensive backline which limited No. 15 Florida Gulf Coast to just five shots (three on goal)
- Collected an assist in the 3-1 win over FGCU, a team which led the nation in total goals (62) last season
Stephen Siy, Omaha
Fr. // D // Omaha, Neb.
- Collected his first career Defensive Player of the Week award
- Held both No. 8 Virginia Tech (5-1) and Grand Canyon (2-1, OT) to one goal each in a pair of victories, while limiting VT to just six shots
- Added two assists in the win over Virginia Tech, which tied the single-match program record
Also nominated: Zach Medawattage, Eastern Illinois; Andy O'Donoghue, Fort Wayne; Ben Fiddes, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.