ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne midfielder Romain Lopez was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Western Illinois goalkeeper Tim Trilk garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award for their performances Sept. 25 – Oct. 1.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Romain Lopez, Fort Wayne
Jr. // M // Cannes, France
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week honor
- Scored the game-winning goal in the 61st minute during a 2-1 victory over Marshall on Tuesday
- The win over the Thundering Herd was the first over a Conference USA foe in program history
- Tallied the lone Fort Wayne goal (17th minute) to secure a point in a 1-1 draw at No. 17 Omaha
Also nominated: Ryan Barlow, Denver; Dante Brigida, Oral Roberts; Drew Whalen, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha; Sept. 5 – Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha; Sept. 11 – Emmanuel Hamzat, Omaha; Sept. 18 – Fernando Pacheco, Western Illinois; Sept. 25 – Drew Whalen, Western Illinois
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tim Trilk, Western Illinois
So. // GK // Rockford, Ill.
- Collected his first career Defensive Player of the Week award
- Registered a shutout victory in the 2-0 win over league opponent Eastern Illinois
- Recorded five saves in his first career shutout
- Western Illinois is atop the league standings with a 2-0-0 record
Also nominated: Cam Sinclair, Fort Wayne; Thibaut Giquel, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Dan Mooney, Denver/Stephen Siy, Omaha; Sept. 5 – Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois; Sept. 11 – Jacob Weiler, Omaha; Sept. 18 – Seth Rinderknecht, Omaha; Sept. 25 – Josesph Ghitis, Omaha/Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.