ELMHURST, Ill. – Denver forward Andre Shinyashiki was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week and Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Mike Novotny garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award for their performances Oct. 9-15.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Andre Shinyashiki, Denver
Jr. // F // Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week award
- Tallied three of Denver's four goals in a pair of road matches last week
- Scored two goals, including the game-winner, in the Pioneers' 3-1 league win at Fort Wayne
- Added the lone Denver goal in a 2-1 loss at Tulsa Tuesday
Also nominated: Fabio Collado, Eastern Illinois; Santiago Rivers, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha; Sept. 5 – Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha; Sept. 11 – Emmanuel Hamzat, Omaha; Sept. 18 – Fernando Pacheco, Western Illinois; Sept. 25 – Drew Whalen, Western Illinois; Oct. 2 – Romain Lopez, Fort Wayne; Oct. 9 – Eric Kronenberg, Denver
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois
Sr. // GK // St. Charles, Ill.
- Collected his seventh career Defensive Player of the Week honor and third this season
- His seven career defensive awards are tied for second all-time in league history
- Went 1-1 in a pair of 1-0 double overtime contests
- Notched the shutout victory over league foe Oral Roberts with six saves and added two more in the loss at Bradley
- For the week, registered a 0.42 goals against average with six saves in 209:48 in net
Also nominated: Thibaut Giquel, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Dan Mooney, Denver/Stephen Siy, Omaha; Sept. 5 – Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois; Sept. 11 – Jacob Weiler, Omaha; Sept. 18 – Seth Rinderknecht, Omaha; Sept. 25 – Josesph Ghitis, Omaha/Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois; Oct. 2 – Tim Trilk, Western Illinois; Oct. 9 – Thibaut Giquel, Oral Roberts
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.