SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The 2018 men's soccer season officially gets underway this week with all six Summit League members in action. Five of the six league members will take the field on Friday, the first official day of regular season competition, as everyone sets their eyes on Santa Barbara, Calif., and the 2018 College Cup in December.
Around The League
• The 2018 Summit League men's soccer season gets underway on Friday with five of the six league members in action
• The early contests get underway at 6 p.m. with Purdue Fort Wayne playing host to Marian, while Omaha will host UC Davis. On the road in that time slot will be Western Illinois, who travels to Michigan to play Oakland
• At 7 p.m. Oral Roberts will take on Drake in Des Moines, Iowa with Denver hosting Monmouth at 8 p.m.
• Eastern Illinois will make its 2018 debut on Aug. 27 when the Panthers travel to Ohio to take on the Bearcats of Cincinnati
• Omaha will have a huge early season test when it hosts No. 11 Clemson on the 26th
• Denver's first big match of the season will be on the 30th when the Pioneers' host No. 24 Washington
• For the sixth-consecutive season, the Denver Pioneers were picked by the league's head coaches to win the league title
• The Omaha Mavericks, the 2017 Summit League Tournament Champions, were picked to finish second
• Omaha begins a new era with Bob Warming after he was named head coach on April 2, 2018
• Omaha's 2017 NCAA berth was the school's first Division 1 postseason tournament
• The 2017 Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year return in 2018 in Denver's Andre Shinyashiki (offense) and Scott DeVoss (defense)
• Six of the 11 First Team All-Summit League performers from last season return with four second-team members also returning
Follow The Summit League
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level.