By: Kelly Shipp
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Purdue Fort Wayne senior midfielder Matthew Lieshout has been named this week's The Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Eastern Illinois' sophomore goalkeeper Jonathan Burke earns defensive player of the week honors.
Lieshout had a stellar offensive week for the Mastodons on his way to earning University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Invitational Offensive MVP honors. Eastern Illinois' Jonathan Burke made his first career start in goal for the Panthers and earned the shutout.
Offensive Player of the Week
Matthew Lieshout, Purdue Fort Wayne
Sr. | Midfield | Auckland, New Zealand
• Earned Offensive MVP honors at the UTRGV Invitational
• Scored two goals against Houston Baptist on his way to earning UTRGV All-Tournament Team honors
• Had five points on the week with two goals and an assist
• Averaged 1.67 goals per match and scoring on 60 percent of his shots on goal
• Second career offensive player of the week honor (10/31/16)
Also nominated: Moshe Perez, Denver; Christian Sosnowski, Eastern Illinois; Paul Kirdorf, Western Illinois; Jorge Barrientos, Oral Roberts
Defensive Player of the Week
Jonathon Burke, Eastern Illinois
So. | Goalkeeper | Naperville, Ill.
• Made three starts playing in a total of 290 minutes
• Earned a shutout against Cincinnati in his first career match
• Posted 11 saves and averaged 3.67 saves per match
Also nominated: Miles Motakef, Oral Roberts
2018 The Summit League Players of the Week
Offensive: Andre Shinyashiki, Denver
Defensive: Miles Motakef, Oral Roberts
Offensive: Matthew Lieshout, Purdue Fort Wayne
Defensive: Jonathon Burke, Eastern Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level.