By: Kelly Shipp
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The University of Denver swept the men's soccer weekly awards after going 2-0-1. The Pioneers senior forward Andre Shinyashiki has been named this week's The Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while redshirt senior Scott DeVoss earns defensive player of the week honors.
Shinyashiki earned his second player of the week honor this season after scoring four goals in three matches while DeVoss captained the Denver defense that allowed just one goal. This is the second time in Shinyashiki and DeVoss' career that they have swept the player of the week awards. They last did it on Oct. 23, 2017.
Offensive Player of the Week
Andre Shinyashiki, Denver
Sr. | Forward | Sao Paulo, Brazil
• Scored four goals in three matches. He now has eight goals in the Pioneers five matches this season
• Earned a hat trick against North Florida. It was his second hat trick of the season
• Scored the game-winning goal against Southern Methodist University. He has scored the game-winning goal in all four of Denver's wins this season
• Scored on 44 percent of his shots on goal
• Was 2-for-2 on penalty kicks
• Leads the NCAA in goals scored (8), goals per match (2.00), game-winning goals (4) and points per match (4.25)
• Second Summit League Offensive Player of the Week honor this season and fifth of his career
Also nominated: Diego Gutierrez, Omaha; Shady Omar, Eastern Illinois; Zach Tom, Purdue Fort Wayne; Daniel Kadima, Western Illinois; Tanguy Guerineau, Oral Roberts
Defensive Player of the Week
Scott DeVoss, Denver
R-Sr. | Defenseman | Centennial, Colo.
• Helped the Pioneers earn two shutouts while allowing just one goal to No. 13 Colgate
• Combined to allow 10 total shots on goal in the Pioneers three matches
• Scored a goal against North Florida, the sixth of his career
• DeVoss has helped Denver rank in the top 20 of team goals against average at just 0.560 per match
• Second career The Summit League Defensive Player of the Week honor
Also nominated: Ugo Tritz, Omaha; Jonathan Burke, Eastern Illinois; Tim Trilk, Western Illinois; Miles Motakef, Oral Roberts
2018 The Summit League Players of the Week
O: Andre Shinyashiki, Denver
D: Miles Motakef, Oral Roberts
O: Matthew Lieshout, Purdue Fort Wayne
D: Jonathon Burke, Eastern Illinois
O: Andre Shinyashiki, Denver
D: Scott DeVoss, Denver
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level.