SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The opening weekend of the men's college soccer season proved to be a challenging one for The Summit League and its six members. The week two schedule appears to be just as daunting and that is highlighted by Denver's trip to South Bend, Ind., where a pair of the nation's top teams will be waiting.
• Oral Roberts was the lone Summit League team to escape the opening weekend of the men's college soccer season unscathed.
• The Golden Eagles opened the campaign with a 4-1 victory over Drake, then backed that up with a 2-1 triumph over former league foe Kansas City on Labor Day.
• Forward Dante Brigida scored both goals for ORU against the Roos, who won't be a former member for long as they are scheduled to rejoin the league next summer.
• Brigida holds the league's early lead in goals scored with three in 2019 after also adding one in the opener vs. Drake.
• ORU freshman Reed Berry collected Offensive Player of the Week honors after the rookie scored twice in the victory over the Bulldogs. Sophomore goalkeeper Miles Motakef earned his third weekly defensive honor after turning away three of Drake's four shots on goal.
• Following a tough trip to the Pacific Northwest, Denver takes on an even tougher challenge in The Hoosier State this weekend.
• The league's preseason favorites dropped a 2-1 decision to Washington, then earned a 0-0 double-overtime draw with SeattleU.
• DU goalkeeper Will Palmquist turned in the league's only clean sheet during the opening week, earning the six-save shutout against the Redhawks.
• Next up for DU is a trip to South Bend, Ind., to take part in the 16th-annual Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament hosted by Notre Dame. The Pioneers will face second-ranked Indiana on Friday before wrapping up the event with the 11th-ranked Fighting Irish on Sunday.
• DU arrives in Indiana still receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches' poll and ranked No. 24 in College Soccer News poll.
• After an 0-2 start at home, Purdue Fort Wayne capped its three-game homestand to open the season with a 3-1 victory over Marian (Ind.) College in a mid-week match. The Mastodons fell behind 1-0 early in the second half, but responded with the final three goals to seal their first victory of the campaign.
• Omaha came up empty during its season-opening trip out to the Golden State, falling 1-0 to California, then 4-0 to No. 11 Saint Mary's. The Mavericks play Columbia in their home opener on Friday.
• Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois are also seeking their first tallies in the win column this week after starting the season with back-to-back losses.
• The Panthers face Ohio State in Dayton, Ohio on Saturday, while the Leathernecks have their home opener vs. Oakland on Friday before traveling to Illinois-Chicago on Sunday.
Follow The Summit League
SOCIAL: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: #ReachTheSummit | #SummitMSOC