SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- With four of the league teams getting Summit League action under their belts last week, that leaves only Western Illinois and Omaha remaining to play a league match and those two will square off Saturday in Nebraska. ORU kept up its high-scoring pace to secure the only league win last week while Denver and Eastern Illinois each earned a point thanks to a 0-0 draw in the Mile High City.
• Oral Roberts improved its win streak to six with a 6-0 blanking of Purdue Fort Wayne in The Summit League opener for both teams. At 8-1-0 on the season, the Golden Eagles remained fourth in the United Coaches West Regional Poll and are receiving votes for the third-straight week in the Top 25 poll.
• JUCO-transfer Juan Arias scored the first three goals of his ORU career last week, including the game-winner in a 1-0 victory over Incarnate Word. He added two goals against the Mastodons to earn Offensive Player of the Week honors. Sophomore Miles Motakef
• Freshman Reed Berry also had two goals against Purdue Fort Wayne to move into a tie for the league lead in that category with teammate Dante Brigida.
• Berry leads the league with 17 points and the Golden Eagles are averaging 2.67 goals per game, which is the fifth-best average in Division I.
• The Golden Eagles have the weekend off before returning to action against intra-city rival Tulsa on Tuesday.
• Purdue Fort Wayne will look to snap a four-game skid Friday in a non-conference affair against Detroit Mercy at home Friday night. The Mastodons then stay in northern Indiana for a match against (RV/RV) Notre Dame on Tuesday.
• Denver and Eastern Illinois opened their league slate with a 0-0 draw Saturday. The Pioneers outshot the Panthers 27-3, but could not get anything past EIU goalkeeper Jonathan Burke, who made eight saves.
• Two days later, the Pios traveled to Pitt to take on another Panther squad. DU was two minutes from earning at least another draw, but Pitt got a golden goal in the 108th-minute to escape with a 3-2 win in double-overtime.
• Kengo Ohira and Stefan DeLeone both scored their first goals of the season for the Pioneers in the loss to Pitt.
• DU returns home to face Pacific on Sunday before embarking on a four-match swing that includes league matches at Western Illinois (Oct. 12) and Oral Roberts (Oct. 19).
• Burke registered his second-straight shutout for EIU on Tuesday, stopping two shots in a 1-0 win over IUPUI.
• Western Illinois will open league play Saturday at Omaha after dropping a pair of one-goal setbacks to in-state foes Northern Illinois and SIUE.
• After breaking into the win column against Air Force on Sept. 21, the Mavericks have also dropped back-to-back matches by a single tally. Cal State Northridge got by Omaha 2-1 in overtime, then (17/25) Missouri State remained undefeated thanks to a golden goal in double-overtime on Tuesday.
Follow The Summit League
SOCIAL: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: #ReachTheSummit | #SummitMSOC
October 21, 2019 Leathernecks sweep #SummitMSOC weekly awards
October 17, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: Vol. 8
October 14, 2019 WIU’s Kirdorf, Omaha’s Ledesma notch #SummitMSOC weekly honors
October 10, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: Vol. 7
October 7, 2019 Golden Eagles Sweep #SummitMSOC Weekly Honors for Fourth Time
October 3, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: Vol. 6
September 30, 2019 Golden Eagles sweep #SummitMSOC weekly honors for third time
September 26, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: Vol. 5
September 23, 2019 Brigida, Larsen collect #SummitMSOC weekly honors
September 19, 2019 #SummitMSOC: Weekly Notebook No. 4
September 16, 2019 Cearns, Palmquist secure #SummitMSOC weekly honors
September 12, 2019 #SummitMSOC: Weekly Notebook No. 3
September 5, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: Vol. 2
September 3, 2019 Golden Eagles sweep initial #SummitMSOC weekly awards
August 28, 2019 #SummitMSOC Weekly Notebook: No. 1
August 26, 2019 Denver Checks in 12th in Top Drawer Soccer Preseason Top-25
August 19, 2019 Coaches tab Pioneers as 2019 Summit League Men’s Soccer Favorite
August 6, 2019 Denver Sits 18th in United Soccer Coaches’ Preseason Poll