2019 Men's Soccer Championship Page
Video: Denver Head Coach Jamie Franks
Highlights: Semifinal No. 2 | Denver's First-Half Penalty Kick (Twitter) | Denver's Second-Half Penalty Kick (Twitter)
DENVER – Denver made sure that a pair of familiar foes will meet in the 2019 #SummitMSOC Championship presented by U.S. Air Force Special Warfare thanks to a 2-0 victory over second-seeded Oral Roberts in Thursday's second semifinal.
Both of DU's goals came via penalty kick as the Pioneers were the first team to shutout the Golden Eagles since their third match of the season on Sept. 6. DU only allowed one shot on goal to the highest-scoring offense in the league and that was saved off the goal line and cleared away by defender Callum Stretch in the 18th-minute.
The Pioneers will face fourth-seeded Omaha in Saturday's Championship Match, marking the fourth-straight year those two will play for the league's NCAA Tournament bid.
Denver got on the board first with a penalty kick drilled home by Josh Drack in the 25th-minute. The score would remain 1-0 going into the break and ORU would get one more solid chance to score on a free kick by the league's Offensive Player of the Year, but Tanguy Geurineau's attempt rifled off the near post in the 63rd-minute to keep DU ahead by one.
The Golden Eagles pressed forward the remainder of the match but DU goalkeeper Will Palmquist kept ORU at bay to post his fifth shutout of the season.
All-Summit League performer Jacob Stennson sent home the second penalty kick with only three seconds remaining to tack on an insurance goal.
The Pioneers and Mavericks will play Saturday's title match at 2 p.m. MT at the Denver Soccer Stadium.
- In the 63rd-minute, Oral Roberts nearly got the equalizer, but Tanguy Geurineau's free-kick caromed off the near post and the Golden Eagles never mounted a serious scoring chance after that
Inside the box score
- Josh Drack's penalty kick was his fifth goal of the season
- Jacob Stennson's goal was his second of the season and both have come via penalty kick
News & Notes
- ORU ends the season with a program-record 13 wins and the Golden Eagles were only shutout for the second time during the campaign (13-match stretch in between)
- Denver has now reached the Summit Men's Soccer Championship title match all seven of its seasons as a league member (5-0-1 record)
- This will be the first No. 3 vs. No. 4 seed-final since 2010
- DU and Omaha have met in the last four title matches with the Pioneers winning three of those, including a 1-0 victory in last year's contest