ELMHURST, Ill. – Drake's Vinny Gillespie was named Summit League Men's Tennis Player of the Week for his performance Jan. 23-29.
VINNY GILLESPIE, DRAKE
Jr. // Stirling, Scotland
- Collected first career Summit League Player of the Week award
- Posted a straight-set win over No. 57 Francisco Cerundolo of South Carolina (3 and 2)
- Teams for a 6-4 doubles victory over USC's Cerundolo and Gabriel Freidrich
- Combined for a 2-1 record at ITA Kickoff Event at North Carolina
- Lone loss came to nation's No. 2 singles player, UNC's William Blumberg
Also nominated: Christoffer Greve, Illinois State; Abdoul Ouattara, Omaha; Chad Kissell, Valparaiso
Previous recipients: Jan. 23 – Ben Clark, Drake
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.