ELMHURST, Ill. – Drake's Ben Wood was named Summit League Men's Tennis Player of the Week for his performance April 3-9.
BEN WOOD, DRAKE
Sr. // Hertfordshire, England
- Claimed his first career Summit League weekly accolade
- Posted 2-0 records in both singles and doubles matches during the week
- Defeated Jannik Giesse of No. 36 Old Dominion (6-2, 0-6, 6-2) at No. 5 singles
- Teamed for a 6-3 win at No. 3 doubles over tandem from nationally-ranked ODU
- Notched team's clinching win with a straight-set victory over Kansas City's Hunter Clark (3 and 4) at No. 5 singles
- Combined for a 6-2 win over UMKC at No. 3 doubles
- Owns 10 singles victories and 12 doubles win this season
Also nominated: Mattia Ros, Denver; Igor Kolaric, Illinois State; Razvan Grigorescu, Omaha; Garrett Gardner, Valparaiso
Previous recipients: Jan. 23 – Ben Clark, Drake; Jan. 30 – Vinny Gillespie, Drake; Feb. 6 – Razvan Grigorescu, Omaha; Feb. 13 – Finley Hall, Drake; Feb. 20 – Tom Hands, Drake; Feb. 27 – Igor Kolaric, Illinois State; March 6 – Tom Hands, Drake; March 13 – Ben Clark, Drake; March 20 – Vinny Gillespie, Drake; March 27 – Brandon Ancona, Valparaiso; April 3 – Chad Kissell, Valparaiso
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.