ELMHURST, Ill. – Drake's Tom Hands was named Summit League Men's Tennis Player of the Week for his performance April 10-16.
TOM HANDS, DRAKE
Jr. // Fulbourn, England
- Claimed his third Player of the Week award of the season
- Posted 2-0 records in both singles and doubles matches during the week
- Clinched both of his team's victories with straight-set wins at No. 3 singles
- Defeated Wichita State's Marius Frosa (3 and 1) and teamed for a 6-4 doubles win at the No. 3 spot in team's 4-0 triumph
- Bested Valparaiso's Brandon Ancona (2 and 2) and combined for a 6-2 No. 3 doubles win in league match
- Owns a 15-10 singles record and 18-9 doubles mark this season
Also nominated: Jesse Ruder-Hook, Denver; Abdoul Ouattara, Omaha; Kweisi Kenyatte, Valparaiso
Previous recipients: Jan. 23 – Ben Clark, Drake; Jan. 30 – Vinny Gillespie, Drake; Feb. 6 – Razvan Grigorescu, Omaha; Feb. 13 – Finley Hall, Drake; Feb. 20 – Tom Hands, Drake; Feb. 27 – Igor Kolaric, Illinois State; March 6 – Tom Hands, Drake; March 13 – Ben Clark, Drake; March 20 – Vinny Gillespie, Drake; March 27 – Brandon Ancona, Valparaiso; April 3 – Chad Kissell, Valparaiso; April 10 – Ben Wood, Drake
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.