By: Aubrie Laufenberg
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –Drake men's tennis athlete Vinny Gillespie and Denver women's tennis athlete Arisha Ladhani garnered the season's first Summit League athlete of the week honors after going undefeated in competition this past weekend.
Vinny Gillespie, Drake
Senior | Stirling, Scotland
- Helped the Bulldogs to a 4-0 start to the season and a 1-0 mark in league play
- Recorded a 4-0 singles mark and a 3-1 doubles mark this past weekend
- Won all four singles matches in straight sets
Also nominated: James Davis (Denver)
Arisha Ladhani, Denver
Redshirt Senior | West Vancouver, B.C.
- Posted a 3-0 record in both singles and doubles matches on the week
- Helped the Pioneers to a 29-1 overall record at the Cal State Fullerton Invite
- Took all three singles matches in straight sets
Also nominated: Natalie Lorentz (Omaha)
2018-19 The Summit League Athlete of the Week
M: Vinny Gillespie, Drake
W: Arisha Ladhani, Denver
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.