ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne outfielder Caitlyn DeLong was named Summit League Player of the Week while IUPUI's pitcher Erica Tharp earned the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of Mar. 13-19.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
CAITLYN DELONG, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // OF // Bradley, Ill.
- Named Summit League Player of the Week for the first time in her career and season
- Recorded .636 (7-for-11) average over the weekend with a .583 on-base percentage and 1.636 slugging percentage
- Drove in nine runs with two doubles and three home run in five games while scoring seven times
- Went 4-for-4, with two home runs and six RBI against Detroit Mercy
- Became first FW player since 2012 to have two home runs and four hits in same game
Also nominated: Maggie Good, IUPUI; Shelby Keil, South Dakota; Brittney Morse, South Dakota State; Kelsey Marlow, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Brittney Morse, South Dakota State; Feb. 20 – Kelly Pattison, Omaha; Feb. 27 – Shelby Keil, South Dakota; Mar. 5 – Maggie Good, IUPUI; Mar. 13 – Ali Herdliska, South Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
ERICA THARP, IUPUI
So. // P // Monrovia, Ind.
- Earned her first Summit League Pitcher of the Week award in her career
- Struck out a career-high 11 batters in win over Florida Gulf Coast
- Surrendered nine base-hits in 14 innings, finished the weekend with an ERA of 0.50 and tallied 18 strikeouts
- Picked up her second win of the weekend against Drexel
Also nominated: Elizabeth Snodgrass, Fort Wayne; Ally Wiegand, South Dakota; Abby Deane, South Dakota State; Emily Ira, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 20 - Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 27 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Mar. 5 – Laura Roecker, Omaha; Mar. 13 – Emily Ira, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.