ELMHURST, Ill. – North Dakota State's Alex Renner and South Dakota's Chris Nilsen were named The Summit League Men's Outdoor Track and Field Athletes of the Week, while South Dakota's Danielle Waldner earned Women's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 25-May 1.
ALEX RENNER, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // Watertown, S.D.
- Earned his second Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award of the season
- Won the collegiate shot put field with a throw of 62' 2.25" (18.95m) at the Drake Relays
- Finished second in the weight throw with a distance of 200' 10" (61.22m) at the Drake Relays
CHRIS NILSEN, SOUTH DAKOTA
Fr. // Kansas City, Mo.
- Earned his fourth Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award of the season
- Top collegiate finisher and overall runner-up to 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist Sam Kendricks in the elite pole vault field after clearing 18' 4.5" (5.60m) at the Drake Relays
- Placed first in the pole vault with a height of 18' 0.5" (5.50m) at the USD Twilight
Also nominated: Jeremy Breedlove, IUPUI; Omeiza Akerele, Oral Roberts; Joel Reichow, South Dakota State
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota Stata; Chris Nilsen, South Dakota; March 28 – Ryan Enerson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota State; April 11 – Alex Renner, North Dakota State; April 18 – Chris Nilsen, South Dakota; April 24 – Chris Nilsen, South Dakota
DANIELLE WALDNER, SOUTH DAKOTA
Sr. // Redfield, S.D.
- Earned her second Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award of the season
- Ranks 18th in the nation and leads the League after winning the shot put with a mark of 55' 0.75" (16.78m) at the USD Twilight
- Won the collegiate shot put field with a distance of 52' 7.25" (16.03m) at the Drake Relays
- Became USD's first Drake Relays Champion in the shot put in the past 20 years
Also Nominated: Amairany Cruz, IUPUI; Cameron Hilliard, Oral Roberts; Alexis Woods, North Dakota State; Rachel King, South Dakota State
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Katelyn Weimerskirch, North Dakota State; Danielle Waldner, South Dakota; March 28 – Rose Jackson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Emily Grove, South Dakota; April 11 – Alyssa Olin, North Dakota State; April 18 – Taylor Janssen, North Dakota State; April 24 – Emily Grove, South Dakota
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.