ELMHURST, Ill. – For their standout performances at the Jack Johnson Classic last Saturday, South Dakota's Chris Nilsen and Megan Billington were selected as The Summit League's Indoor Athletes of the Week Tuesday morning.
This marks the third-consecutive week Nilsen has nabbed the honor on the men's side, while Billington earned the women's title for the first time in her career.
Chris Nilsen, SOUTH DAKOTA
So. // Kansas City, Mo.
- Competed at the Jack Johnson Classic Saturday (pole vault)
- The reigning NCAA indoor champion cleared a season-best height of 18-9.25 (5.72m)
- Set the Jack Johnson Classic, Minnesota Fieldhouse and USD school records
- With that mark, Nilsen ranks 10th all-time in NCAA indoor history in the pole vault
- Once again, reclaimed the nation's No. 1 ranking this season
- Remains undefeated in his indoor career, winning his 11th-straight meet title
- Eighth-career Summit League Indoor Athlete of the Week title (tied for first all-time)
Also nominated: Jonah Warwick (North Dakota State), Israel Nelson (Oral Roberts), Colton Bender (South Dakota State)
Previous winners: Bryant Courter (SDSU) and Corey Reid (USD) – Dec. 5 // Alex Talley, North Dakota State – Dec. 12 // Chris Nilsen, South Dakota – Jan. 16 // Chris Nilsen, South Dakota – Jan. 23
Megan Billington, SOUTH DAKOTA
Jr. // Grand Island, Neb.
- Competed at the Jack Johnson Classic Saturday (5,000-meter)
- Hustled for a career-best time (16:52.98) and a first-place finish
- Shattered the old-meet record by 10 seconds
- Ranks No. 1 in The Summit League and 41st nationally this season
- Moved to No. 3 on South Dakota's All-Time Indoor 5K performance list
- Sixth-straight year a 'Yote has won the Jack Johnson Classic 5K title
- First-career Summit League Indoor Athlete of the Week title
Also nominated: Bailey Retzlaff (North Dakota State), Stephanie Ahrens (Omaha), Cameron Hilliard (Oral Roberts), Jaymie O'Connor (South Dakota State)
Previous winners: Aniekeme Etim, Oral Roberts – Dec. 5 // Maddy Nilles, North Dakota State – Dec. 12 // Bailey Retzlaff, North Dakota State – Jan. 16 // Maddy Nilles, North Dakota State – Jan. 23
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.