ELMHURST, Ill. – In record breaking fashion, North Dakota State's Alyssa Olin (javelin) and Payton Otterdahl (shot put & discus) were named The Summit League Athletes of the Week for their performances at the Baldy Castillo Invitational, March 16-17.
Olin, a senior from Mott, N.D., shattered her own school record in the women's javelin with a toss that sailed 191' 6" (58.36m)—besting the old school record by 17 feet. Otterdahl, a junior from Rosemount, Minn., broke a pair of school records in the shot put and discus events last Saturday, mustering a first-place throw of 64' 11.25" (19.79m) in the shot and a third-place mark of 182' 9" (55.70m) in the discus.
Olin currently ranks No. 1 on the NCAA's performance list this season in the javelin, while Otterdahl is ranked first in the shot put and seventh in the discus.
Alyssa Olin, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // Mott, N.D.
- Competed at the Baldy Castillo Invitational last Friday (March 16)
- Broke her own school record in the javelin with a 191' 6" (58.36m) bomb
- Improved her personal best by 17 feet and won the competition by over 20 feet
- Ranked No. 1 in the NCAA this outdoor season by 12.5 feet
- Per Track & Field News, Olin ranks in the top 10 all-time on the U.S. collegiate list (source)
- Second-career Summit League Outdoor Athlete of the Week honor
Also nominated: Cameron Hilliard (Oral Roberts), Lara Boman (South Dakota), Kendra Dykstra (South Dakota State)
Payton Otterdahl, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // Rosemount, Minn.
- Competed at the Baldy Castillo Invitational last Saturday (March 17)
- Earned a first-place finish in the men's shot put with a personal best 64' 11.25" (19.79m) heave
- Finished third in the men's discus event with a personal-best toss of 182' 9" (55.70m)
- Set the new school records in both event categories with those marks
- Currently ranks No. 1 in the shot put and No. 7 in the discus on the 2018 NCAA performance list
- First-career Summit League Outdoor Athlete of the Week honor
Also nominated: Joe Reagan (South Dakota), Omeiza Akerele (Oral Roberts), Sam Zenner (South Dakota State)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.