ELMHURST, Ill. – North Dakota State's Payton Otterdahl and Maddy Nilles along with Omaha's Stephanie Ahrens captured The Summit League Athlete of the Week honors for their performances April 17-23.
Payton Otterdahl, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // Rosemount, Minn.
- Placed second (1st collegian) in the discus event at the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate
- His throw of 195' 0" (59.45m) ranks first in The Summit League and ninth in the NCAA this season
- Mark is also 15th in the USA and the 54th-best in the World this year
- Broke his own school record for the fourth consecutive week
- Also took 10th (4th collegian) in the discus at the Beach Invitational with a throw of 186' 8" (56.90m)
- Second consecutive Summit League Outdoor Athlete of the Week honor and third of his career
Also Nominated: Chris Nilsen (South Dakota)
Previous Winners: Payton Otterdahl, North Dakota State (March 20) // Matt Neururer, North Dakota State (March 27) // Chris Nilsen, South Dakota (April 3) // Austin Simpson, Oral Roberts (April 10) // Payton Otterdahl, North Dakota State (April 17)
Maddy Nilles, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // Sherrill, Iowa
- At the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate, placed second in the hammer throw with a mark of 212' 7" (64.79m)
- Throw ranks first in the league by over 10 feet and is 11th in the nation, 15th in the USA and 59th in the World
- Toss was second in program history and was 3.5' better than her previous personal best
- Also took fifth in the hammer (209' 5" / 63.83m) and 26th in the discus (157' 4" / 47.97m) at the Beach Invitational last week
- First career Outdoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week award
Stephanie Ahrens, OMAHA
Sr. // Lincoln, Neb.
- Set the top Summit League mark by over six inches in the high jump at the Bryan Clay Invitational
- Her jump of 5' 11.50" (1.82m) is also tied for ninth in the NCAA, tied for 17th in the USA and tied for 55th in the World this season
- The mark also tied the school record
- Took home her first career Outdoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week honor
Also Nominated: Emma Rafuse (Fort Wayne); Madeline Huglen (South Dakota)
Previous Winners: Alyssa Olin, NDSU (March 20) // Macy Denzer, North Dakota State (March 27) // Rachel King, South Dakota State (April 3) // Mercy Abire, Oral Roberts (April 10) // Mercy Abire, Oral Roberts (April 17)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.