ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois senior guard Emily Clemens and South Dakota sophomore Ciara Duffy were named Summit League Women's Basketball Players of the Week for their performances, Dec. 25-31.
Emily Clemens, Western Illinois
Sr. // G // Muscatine, Iowa
- Collected her seventh career Player of the Week award and second this season
- Tallied 28 points, 11 assists and five steals, while shooting 67 percent (10-of-15) from the field in a league-opening win at Fort Wayne
- Added 21 points, nine assists, six rebounds and four steals in the loss at Bradley
- For the week, averaged 24.5 points, 10.0 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 4.5 steals per contest for the Fighting Leathernecks
- Shot 54.8 percent (17-of-31) from the field and went a perfect 13-of-13 from the free throw line
Ciara Duffy, South Dakota
So. // G // Rapid City, S.D.
- Earned her first career Player of the Week honor
- Recorded her first career double-double behind a career-best 24 points and 10 rebounds performance in the win over Denver
- Added two steals and a block against the Pioneers
- Shot 83.3 percent (10-of-12) from the field, 75 percent (3-of-4) from three-point range and went 1-for-1 at the charity stripe.
- Helped South Dakota improve to 5-2 all-time in Summit League openers
Also nominated: Jaelencia Williams, Fort Wayne; Rylee Nudell, North Dakota State; Maya Mayberry, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Nov. 13 – Macy Miller, South Dakota State; Nov. 20 – Allison Arens, South Dakota; Nov. 27 – Courtney Vaccher, Omaha/Madison Guebert, South Dakota State; Dec. 4 – Taylor Higginbotham, Western Illinois; Dec. 11 – Macy Miller, South Dakota State; Dec. 18 – Faith Ihim, Oral Roberts; Dec. 26 – Emily Clemens, Western Illinois/Macy Miller, South Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League features men's basketball teams from eight member institutions: Denver, Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois with North Dakota becoming an official member for the 2018-19 season. In 2016-17, The Summit League raised its RPI for the third consecutive year, finishing with an all-time best No. 11 ranking. The Summit League has sent at least three teams to the postseason nine straight years with three postseason tournament semifinal appearances the last four years, while recording the nation's best Division I winning percentage improvement since 2009-10. Called "March's Best-Kept Secret" by USA Today, The Summit League Basketball Championships annually ranks as one of the most attended Division I conference tournaments. This season's event returns to the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., March 3-6, 2018. For more information about the league, "See The Summit" by visiting www.thesummitleague.org and following Summit League Basketball on Twitter @summithoops.