By: Kelly Shipp
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Denver junior forward Madison Nelson has been named The Summit League Women's Basketball Player of the Week after averaging a double-double in the Pioneers three wins last week.
Early in the season, Nelson has helped lead Denver to a league-best five wins in non-conference play while also posting impressive individual numbers. She earned back-to-back double-doubles last week including a 20-point, 20-rebound performance against Lamar. Nelson's 20-point and 20-rebound game was the first 20/20 game in The Summit League since 2014, while her 20-rebounds makes her one of just three Summit League players to grab at least 20 boards in the last four seasons.
Player of the Week
Madison Nelson, Denver
Jr. | Forward | Dover, Minn.
• Helped lead Denver to a 3-0 record last week and a tie for first in The Summit League standings
• Recorded back-to-back double-doubles against Lamar and St. Bonaventure
• She grabbed 20 rebounds and scored 20 points against Lamar, becoming the first player in Denver history to record a 20/20 game
• Her 20/20 game is the first in The Summit League since 2014 when Oral Roberts Vicky McIntyre did it three times
• Her two double-doubles give her three for her career and she is one of two Summit League players with multiple double-doubles this season
• She becomes just the third Summit League student-athlete in the last four years to grab at least 20 rebounds in a game
• Her 20 rebounds against Lamar is the most in The Summit League this season
• Averaged 15.7 points per game and 15 rebounds per game while shooting 62 percent from the field
• This is Nelson's first career player of the week honor
Also nominated: Macy Miller, South Dakota State; Taylor Higginbotham, Western Illinois; Sh'Toya Sanders, Purdue Fort Wayne; Ciara Duffy, South Dakota; Lexi Klabo, North Dakota; Rylie Torrey, Oral Roberts; Josie Filer, Omaha
2018-19 Summit League Players of the Week
Nov. 12: Taylor Frederick, South Dakota
Nov. 19: Macy Miller, South Dakota State
Nov. 26: Madison Nelson, Denver