WEEKLY NOTEBOOK (PDF w/stats)
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- With all nine Summit League teams reaching the midway point of the conference season this week, there are three tied atop the standings with nine points apiece. South Dakota State remained the lone unbeaten after getting a golden goal from Leah Manuleleua in double-overtime to defeat Denver 1-0 last Sunday.
Around The League
• Junior goalkeeper Maggie Smither was stout in between the pipes for the Jackrabbits, fending off six shots to register her seventh shutout of the season. Those efforts also earned Smither her second Defensive Player of the Week accolade this season and fourth of her career.
• The Jacks put their 3-0 league record on the line Thursday in a match vs. South Dakota. This contest pits the two hottest teams in the league with SDSU owning a three-match winning streak and 7-2-1 mark over its last 10 contests. Meanwhile, the Yotes won back-to-back league games last week and are 7-3 over their last 10 tilts.
• Junior forward Taryn Labree was instrumental in those two wins for USD, combining for five points on a pair of goals and an assist during wins over Oral Roberts and Western Illinois. Labree earned the Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season for her efforts.
• After losing a two-goal lead in a 3-2 loss to Denver on Thursday, NDSU reached the nine-point plateau with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory at rival North Dakota this past Sunday. The Bison have a full week off before entertaining SDSU in Fargo on Sunday.
• Senior forward Holly Enderle energized the offensive efforts for NDSU, scoring two goals and adding two assists after scoring just twice in the team's first nine regular-season games.
• The Pioneers will look to bounce back from their last-minute loss to South Dakota State with a road match at Purdue Fort Wayne on Thursday. DU then returns home to square off with North Dakota on Sunday.
• The Fighting Hawks open the week at Omaha on Thursday before heading to the Mile High City. UND allowed more than one goal in a match for the first time all season during the 2-1 setback to NDSU. In fact, those two goals allowed matched the total from the team's first 11 games combined.
• UND senior forward Katie Moller became the league's first double-digit goal scorer with her 10th tally against NDSU.
• The Mavericks cracked the win column in Summit League action with a 2-0 victory over Purdue Fort Wayne last Friday. Senior Erinoelle Clifton was the offensive catalyst for UNO, tallying her first career goal and assisting on the game-winner against the Mastodons.
• The final two non-conference matches are being played this week. Western Illinois knocked off Northern Iowa 1-0 in overtime on Tuesday to end a 5-match losing streak, while Purdue Fort Wayne will play host to Eastern Illinois on Saturday.
• The Leathernecks return to Summit League play on Sunday at Oral Roberts as they continue to seek their first conference win of the campaign.
• The Mastodons will look to end a four-game skid in league play on Thursday against Denver before hosting the Panthers.
• Five #SummitWSOC teams were named United Coaches Team Academic Award winners this past week after their players combined for 3.0 GPA's or higher during the 2017-18 season. Denver, Omaha, Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State and South Dakota State were among those honored.
2018 Players of the Week
Offense: Katie Moller, Sr., F, North Dakota
Defense: Ryliegh Bohnenstiehl, Sr., GK, Oral Roberts
Offense: Leah Manuleleua, Jr., F, South Dakota State
Defense: Parker Rytz, Sr., GK, South Dakota
Offense: Meg Halvorson, So., MF, Denver
Defense: Olivia Swenson, Sr., GK, North Dakota
Offense: Brookelyn Dew, So., F, North Dakota State
Defense: Allyson Hayner, Sr., D, Purdue Fort Wayne
Defense: Brittany Wilson, Jr., GK, Denver
Offense: Katie Moller, Sr., F., North Dakota
Defense: Maggie Smither, Jr., GK, South Dakota
Offense: Taryn Labree, Jr., MF, South Dakota
Defense: Haley Lydon, Sr., GK, Purdue Fort Wayne
Offense: Samantha Feller, Fr., MF, Denver
Defense: Hanna Norman, Sr., D, North Dakota State
Offense: Taryn Labree, Jr., MF, South Dakota
Defense: Maggie Smither, Jr., GK, South Dakota State
Follow The Summit League
SOCIAL: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: #ReachTheSummit | #SummitWSOC
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website