SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The North Dakota women's soccer team picked up two wins last week and added a pair of Summit League weekly individual honors as well. Junior midfielder Mara Yapello earned the offensive honor after putting together a five-point match in a win over Chicago State and senior goalkeeper Catherine Klein secured the defensive honors after making nine saves in those two victories.
For Yapello, the weekly accolade is the first of her career as she netted the first multi-goal match of her career. She scored the first two goals in the 6-0 victory over the Cougars and assisted on the third goal. In UND's 2-1 double-overtime win over Hawai'i, Yapello was part of an offense that mustered 15 shots and rallied to score two late goals in the triumph over the Rainbow Wahine.
Klein is no stranger to weekly honors as a collegian, but her last came from the Big Sky when she was that conference's goalkeeper of the year in 2017. After missing all of last season, Klein has returned to form in 2019 and has the Fighting Hawks off to a 4-1-1 start after a four-save shutout of the Cougars and five-save outing against Hawai'i.
Mara Yapello, North Dakota
Jr. | MF | Mahtomedi, Minn.
- Recorded a career-high five points and first multi-goal game of career in win over Chicago State
- Through six matches, already has career-highs in goals (3) and points (8)
- This is the first Summit League weekly honor for Yapello
Also nominated: Jordan Centinio, South Dakota; Amy Andrews, Western Illinois; Elyse Huber, North Dakota State; Breanna Buche, Purdue Fort Wayne; McKenzie Edwards, Oral Roberts.
Catherine Klein, North Dakota
Sr. | GK | Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Registered third shutout of the season and 10th of her career in win over Chicago State
- Made three key second-half saves in 2-1 2OT win over Hawai'i
- This is the first Summit League weekly honor for Klein (third of career; two Big Sky weekly honors)
Also nominated: Monica Polgar, North Dakota State; Ines Palmiero Herrera, Western Illinois; Lorah Pund, Purdue Fort Wayne, Allison Austin, Oral Roberts.
Previous Players of the Week
Offense: Mariah Haberle, North Dakota State
Defense: Monica Polgar, North Dakota State
Offense: Elyse Huber, North Dakota State
Defense: Brittany Wilson, Denver
Follow The Summit League
SOCIAL: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: #ReachTheSummit | #SummitWSOC