SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – During a week that saw plenty of action, two standouts shared The Summit League Women's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week award, while South Dakota State's Rachel Preston netted the defensive honor.
North Dakota State forward Elyse Huber made history on Friday night as the senior equaled a league single-match record with four goals in a 4-2 win at Eastern Washington. Additionally, Huber became the first Bison to score four or more goals in a game since 2003. Her total goals were the most in the NCAA Division I era for NDSU and the most against an NCAA Division I opponent.
South Dakota midfielder Alexis Mitchell helped the Coyotes win three road matches, with two of them coming thanks to her game-winning goals. Mitchell notched the game-winning goal at Drake in the 88th minute and scored a golden goal on a header in the box off a corner kick in overtime at Wyoming. Additionally, Mitchell recorded an assist off a give-and-go to senior midfielder Taryn Labree against the Cowgirls.
Preston anchored the center back for the Jackrabbits as they recorded a pair of shutout-wins at Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois, which was also their fourth and fifth straight wins, respectively. SDSU's defense only allowed four shots on goal against Northern Iowa and one total shot against Northern Illinois, tying for the fewest allowed in a game in program history.
Elyse Huber, North Dakota State
Sr. | F | Sioux City, Iowa
- Recorded four goals in a 4-2 win at Eastern Washington
- Her four goals are tied for the most in league history and the first Bison to score four or more goals in a game since 2003
- This is her second weekly honor for Huber this season
Alexis Mitchell, South Dakota
Jr. | MF | Lee's Summit, Mo.
- Recorded a pair of game-winning goals in the midst of a three-game winning streak on the road
- Game-winning goal at Drake came off a penalty kick in the 88th minute, and scored a golden goal in overtime at Wyoming
- Earned her first career Player of the Week award
Also nominated: Cassie Giddings, North Dakota; Maya Hansen, South Dakota State; Mia Kitterman, Oral Roberts
Rachel Preston, South Dakota State
So. | MF | Lakeville, Minn.
- Anchored defense to two shutouts during 2-0-0 weekend
- Limited Northern Iowa to four shots on goal and Northern Illinois to one total shot, tying for fewest in SDSU history
- Earned first career Player of the Week accolade
Also nominated: Monica Polgar, North Dakota State; Ines Palmiero, Western Illinois; Brooklyn Eardley, Oral Roberts; Bella Alessio, South Dakota
Previous Players of the Week
Offense: Mariah Haberle, North Dakota State
Defense: Monica Polgar, North Dakota State
Offense: Elyse Huber, North Dakota State
Defense: Brittany Wilson, Denver
Offense: Mara Yapello, North Dakota
Defense: Catherine Klein, North Dakota
Offense: Leah Manuleleua, South Dakota State
Defense: Maggie Smither, South Dakota State