SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –With a month left in the season, Western Illinois, South Dakota State and North Dakota State are all undefeated in league play.
Around The League
• With a month left in the season, Western Illinois, South Dakota State and North Dakota State are all undefeated in league play.
• North Dakota State senior forward Elyse Huber ranks fourth in the nation in shots on goal per game with 2.80 and 14th in points per game with 2.10. Huber and the Bison will have two road matches at Omaha (Oct. 10) and Oral Roberts (Oct. 13).
• South Dakota State senior goalkeeper Maggie Smither is tied at seventh in the nation in shutouts with eight. Additionally, North Dakota State senior goalkeeper Monica Polgar ranks 10th in the nation in total saves with 75.
• Western Illinois has won four-straight matches for the first time since the 2009 season as the Leathernecks recently won a pair of matches against Omaha and Purdue Fort Wayne.
• The Leathernecks swept the weekly awards as sophomore defender Zoe Clarke and senior goalkeeper Ines Palmiero were named Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively.
• South Dakota State has won seven-straight matches, all in shutout fashion, and have put together winning streaks of four or more in six of its last eight seasons, including a nine-match streak in 2017.
• The Jackrabbits' seven-game shutout streak is the second-longest in program history and is one away from tying the program record. Additionally, SDSU has not allowed a goal since Sept. 6 at Drake.
• Purdue Fort Wayne opened the season with a 4-1-1 clip, its best start to a season in program history, but the Mastodons have lost four-straight matches and are 4-5-2. They will look for a win against North Dakota at home on Thursday night.
• Denver moved up in the latest United Soccer Coaches West Region Poll at No. 9 thanks to its 1-1 tie against Oral Roberts Sunday.
• The Pioneers will open the home portion of their league schedule on Thursday against Western Illinois.
• Oral Roberts recorded its first draw in league play since the 2011 campaign with a 1-1 tie against Denver on Sunday.
• The Golden Eagles will wrap up their five-match homestand this weekend against SDSU and NDSU.
• Omaha fell to Western Illinois, 1-0, in the Mavericks' league opener last Thursday. The Maverick defense has now allowed one goal or fewer in 10 of its 11 matches this season.
• South Dakota dropped back-to-back matches against North Dakota and North Dakota State to open league play, both by 2-1 decisions.
• The Coyotes will end a three-match road swing on Sunday as South Dakota travels to Purdue Fort Wayne.