SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Denver men's tennis athlete James Davis and Omaha women's tennis athlete Natalie Lorentz captured this week's Summit League athlete of the week awards after multiple wins during their respective team's matches. This is the first career weekly honor for both Davis and Gallegos.
Lorentz helped the Mavericks defeat Nebraska-Kearney 6-1, as the junior picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win at the No. 2 spot. The Mavericks capped off the weekend by sweeping McPherson College, 7-0 and improved to 3-1 on the season. Lorentz and doubles teammate Lillian Tiemeyer won 6-0 at the No. 1 spot, while Lorentz claimed a three-set win (4-6, 6-2, 1-0) at the top spot.
On the men's side, Davis opened the weekend against Northern Colorado with a 6-1 doubles win at the No. 1 spot with doubles partner Matt Summers and made it a 3-0 contest in singles play with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph, eventually winning 7-0.
Against Utah State, Davis and the Pioneers would win another contest, this time against Utah State. Davis and Summers set the tone with a quick 6-0 victory at the top spot. Davis carried his momentum into singles play at the No. 3 spot with a commanding 6-0, 6-2 win.
James Davis, Denver
Junior | Barnstaple, England
- Earned his first career athlete of the week award
- Went 2-0 in singles at the second and third spot and undefeated at the top spot in doubles action
- Helped Denver to a 2-0 record on the weekend
Natalie Lorentz, Omaha
Junior | St. Louis Park, Minn.
- Collected her first career athlete of the week honor
- Went 2-0 in singles play at the No. 1 and 2 spot and 1-1 in doubles action at the top spot
- Helped the Mavericks to a 6-1 win against Nebraska-Kearney and 7-0 win against McPherson College
2019-20 The Summit League Athletes of the Week
W: Tatum Burger, Denver
M: Oliver Johansson, Drake
W: Taylor Melville, Denver
M: James Davis, Denver
W: Natalie Lorentz, Omaha