Score: No. 5 North Dakota State 3, No. 4 Oral Roberts 1
Records: North Dakota State (15-16), Oral Roberts (15-15)
Location: The Jungle – Indianapolis, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS – Fifth-seeded North Dakota State defeated No. 4 Oral Roberts, 3-1 (25-18, 21-25, 25-23, 25-17) in the opening match of the 2014 Summit League Volleyball Championship at The Jungle Friday afternoon.
The Bison had a balanced attacked with four players, Jenni Fassbender, Emily Minnick, Emily Miron and Hadley Steffen recording double-digit kills.
North Dakota State and Oral Roberts split the first two sets, heading into the break tied up 1-1. NDSU was able to win a close third set, 25-23, after scoring five of the last eight points. The Bison took that momentum into the fourth set taking the biggest lead of the match at 20-9. The Golden Eagles fought back but ended up falling 25-17 in the final set.
After splitting the first two sets, North Dakota State held on to score five of the last eight points and win a close third set, 25-23. The Bison took that momentum into the fourth set taking an 11-point lead in the final set.
Inside The Box Score
- North Dakota State had four players post double-digit kills. Jenni Fassbender led the way with 14, while Emily Miron and Emily Minnick had 11 each and Hadley Steffen tallied 10.
- NDSU's Monica Claxton earned a 31-assist, 13-dig double-double.
- Minnick recorded a match-high .500 hitting percentage with 11 kills and one error in 20 attempts.
- Oral Roberts was led by Laura Milos, the 2014 Summit League Freshman of the Year, and Sara Pope with 14 kills apiece. Pope also added 10 digs for a double-double.
News & Notes
- North Dakota State won its first league tournament match since the 2011 season when the Bison defeated Oral Roberts, 3-0 to win the league championship.
- Oral Roberts ends its first season back in The Summit League with a record of 15-15.
No. 5 North Dakota State advances to the semifinals to take on No. 1 Denver on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. (ET).