ELMHURST, Ill. – The North Dakota State volleyball team is riding a four-match win streak thanks in part to senior setter Brianna Rasmusson and freshman middle hitter Bella Lien, both of whom were named The Summit League Players of the Week Tuesday.
On the offensive side, Rasmusson snagged her second-career POTW title after her MVP performance at the North Dakota State Classic last weekend. There, Rasmusson tallied assist totals of 25, 37 and 40—good for a 10.20 assists/set average. Rasmusson's teammate Lien padded the defensive side of the score sheet, registering 14 total blocks (two solo, 12 assisted) in 10 sets after totaling just five in her previous 10 sets. For the year, Lien ranks fourth in the league with 0.95 blocks/set.
Brianna Rasmusson, North Dakota State
Sr. // S // Fergus Falls, Minn.
- Second-career Offensive Player of the Week title
- Named 2017 North Dakota State Classic MVP
- Tallied 102 assists in 10 sets at home tournament
- Ranks second in assists/set (9.95) and third in assists (199) this season
- In 2016, logged 146 assists in first 20 sets. In 2017: 199 through 20 sets
- Moved to No. 9 on NDSU's all-time assists list (2,490)
Also nominated: Becca Latham (Denver), Nicole Rightnowar (Fort Wayne), Bella Sade (Omaha), Laura Milos (Oral Roberts), Brittany Jessen (South Dakota), Shalyn Greenhaw (Western Illinois)
Previous Winners: Aug. 28 – Kayla Principato (Denver)
Bella Lien, North Dakota State
Fr. // MH // Rogers, Minn.
- First-career Player of the Week award
- Came down with season-high seven blocks against Florida A&M
- Amassed 14 total blocks (two solo, 12 assisted) in 10 sets
- First 10 sets this season: five total blocks | Last 10 sets: 14 total blocks
- Ranks fourth this season in blocks/set (0.95)
- Tied for fifth with 19 total blocks in 2017
Also nominated: Piyusha Boteju (Denver), Elizabeth Britner (Fort Wayne), Claire Mountjoy (Omaha), CeCe Madison (Oral Roberts), Anne Rasmussen (South Dakota), Claire Grove (Western Illinois)
Previous Winners: Aug. 28 – Mikaela Purnell (NDSU)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.