By: Aubrie Laufenberg
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The Summit League volleyball teams round out non-conference action this upcoming week with all nine members taking the court. Competition begins Friday, Sept. 14 at 10 a.m. with North Dakota matching up against South Florida at the USF Classic.
Around The League
- South Dakota State earned its first two wins of the season at the Drake Invitational and will look to capture a few more W's this weekend. The Jackrabbits head to the Sunshine State to compete in the Owls Classic with matches against Florida Atlantic, North Florida and San Jose State.
- Oral Roberts final preseason tournament will be the SIUE Invitational in Edwardsville, Ill. The Golden Eagles will play Louisiana Tech Friday and Northern Kentucky and SIUE Saturday.
- North Dakota State was scheduled to face the ACC's North Carolina and Duke this weekend, but due to a category four hurricane, the trip east was canceled. The Bison are now traveling to Fort Worth, Texas to matchup against Texas Christian Friday. This will be the first meeting between NDSU and the Big 12 Conference member.
- Omaha is slated to meet up with Milwaukee, Bradley (Friday) and Eastern Illinois (Saturday) at the CEFCU Classic this weekend in Peoria, Ill. Milwaukee and Eastern Illinois are 0-2 against Summit League opponents this season.
- Purdue Fort Wayne is coming off a two-game win streak that includes a hard-fought, five-set victory over UConn. The Mastodons compete in the RMU Sheraton Invitational and will see Duquesne Friday and Robert Morris Saturday before returning to the Gates Sports Center to host Valparaiso on Monday.
- Western Illinois will compete in the Crusader Classic this week in hopes of breaking a nine-game losing streak. The Leathernecks open with Wright State on Friday night and will see host Valparaiso and Cornell on Saturday.
- South Dakota will make the trek to the Golden State to compete at the CSU Bakersfield Tournament. The Coyotes will meet UC Santa Barbara Friday night and Montana and CSU Bakersfield Saturday. Host CSU Bakersfield pulled off two upsets last season to win the Western Athletic Conference Championship title and receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
- North Dakota was in Jacksonville, Fla. and split against North Florida and Jacksonville at the beginning of the week. The Fighting Hawks stay in the Sunshine State this week and look to extend their win streak at the USF Classic. UND will meet South Florida and Charlotte Friday and New Orleans Saturday.
- Denver improved to 8-1 overall this past weekend and remain undefeated in six matches inside Hamilton Gymnasium. The Pioneers are set to host their final of three-consecutive home tournaments this weekend. DU will face Navy (Friday), Maryland Eastern Shore and Samford (Saturday).
2018 Players of the Week
Offense: Madison Jaqua, Sr., S, Purdue Fort Wayne
Defense: Olivia Novotny, Sr., L/DS, Denver
Offensive: Sydney Case, Fr., S, Omaha
Defensive: Anne Rasmussen, Jr. L/DS, South Dakota
Offensive: Becca Latham, Sr., OH, Denver
Defensive: Payton Richardson, Sr., MB, South Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website