SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –During the opening weekend of volleyball competition, The Summit League volleyball teams combined to go 19-12 with Denver remaining undefeated heading into the second week of competition.
Around The League
- After opening weekend, preseason favorite Denver remains undefeated heading into week two of competition. The Pioneers look to bring the momentum to Honolulu, Hawaii, to compete in the Rainbow Wahine Invitational. DU will match up against Sacramento State, Army and Hawaii during the invitational.
- North Dakota went 3-1 in a three-day span competing in the UNO Tournament and making a stop at Mississippi Valley State. Coach Tiffin captured his first career victory over Arkansas Pine Bluff (3-1) as senior Ashley Brueggeman paced UND in the win with 24 kills and a .314 hitting percentage.
- The Mavericks overcame a two-set deficit to pull off a gritty, five-set victory over UAlbany to improve to 6-0 in Omaha Challenge matches over the last two years. UNO earned coach Buttermore his first victory as the Mavericks head coach with a 3-0 win over Abilene Christian on opening day.
- After finishing the SHSU Invitational with a 2-1 record, Oral Roberts capped off opening weekend with a five-set victory over Missouri State on the Golden Eagles' home court. ORU looks to push the momentum into the weekend as they remain home hosting the ORU Invitational. ORU will match up against Illinois State Friday along with Little Rock and Air Force on Saturday.
- South Dakota head coach Leanne Williamson secured her 100th career win as the Coyotes completed a 3-0 season-opening weekend to win the IUPUI Invitational. USD opened the season on Friday night with a four-set victory over former Summit League rival IUPUI and finished off the weekend posting a pair of wins over Valparaiso and Murray State, a 2018 NCAA Tournament team.
- North Dakota State finished opening weekend 1-2 in the Toledo Blue & Gold Classic. Setter Kalli Hegerle was named to the all-tournament team after she notched her first career triple-double with 18 assists, 10 kills and 10 digs in the 3-0 win at Toledo Friday night. Freshman Kelley Johnson also recorded her first collegiate double-double (17 assists and 10 digs) against Toledo.
- The Mastodons took third in the Purdue Fort Wayne Invitational Presented by Hyatt Place after finishing 1-2 overall on the weekend. Purdue Fort Wayne captured its first victory of the season after a 3-1 win over South Alabama. The Mastodons had two double-doubles against the Jaguars. Freshman Sidney Schiller earned her first career double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs, while sophomore Madison Gates notched her first collegiate double-double with 18 assists and 10 digs.
- South Dakota State went 1-2 on the weekend with its first victory of the 2019 season coming from a 3-1 win over Eastern Illinois. Two Jackrabbits posted double-doubles in the victory. Crystal Burk recorded 14 kills and 10 digs against the Panthers, while Makenzie Hennen added 14 digs and 11 kills. SDSU will travel to Beaumont, Texas, to compete in the Katrinka Crawford Invitational this weekend.
- Western Illinois captured the first victory out of all nine league schools during opening weekend. The Leathernecks swept Mississippi Valley State in Starkville, Miss., Friday afternoon. Junior Mackenzie Steckler was a driving force for the Leathernecks finishing the match with 14 kills and a .542 clip. After opening weekend, Steckler currently leads the league in blocks per set (2.00).