SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –The Summit League volleyball teams have one more week of non-conference play before league action kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 24. South Dakota finds itself heading into the final week of non-conference competition with an overall record of 9-1.
Around The League
- The Coyotes finished the weekend 3-0 after defeating UC Davis (3-0), Wyoming (3-1) and the Big Ten's Iowa (3-2) to take the South Dakota Classic title. USD takes a 9-1 record into its final non-conference weekend of the season. The road trip to Peoria, Illinois will feature matches against Northern Illinois and Bradley.
- Denver went 1-2 on the weekend at the Ameritas Players Challenge in Lincoln, Neb. The Pioneers will look to finish the preseason strong at the Thin Air Challenge where they will match up against Air Force on Thursday, Santa Clara on Friday and Montana on Saturday.
- North Dakota finished out last week with a strong 3-1 showing. Senior Ashley Brueggeman continues to be a key contributor for the Fighting Hawks. Brueggeman was solid on the attack and in defense for North Dakota, posting 2.36 kills per set and an impressive 1.43 blocks per set while hitting .244 in the Fighting Hawks' four matches. UND welcomes Akron, Eastern Washington and Lamar this weekend for the UND Classic starting Thursday.
- The Bison look to continue the momentum from their 2-1 finish at the NDSU Classic this last weekend. Bison setter Kalli Hegerle currently ranks ??? in the NCAA with four triple-doubles with three coming at the Central Michigan Chippewa Invitational.
- Omaha finished the week 1-3 with its sole victory coming on the final day of the Bluejay Invitational against Drake (3-0). Outside hitter Claire Leonard and setter Sami Clarkson notched their first career double-doubles in the win over Drake. Leonard posted 11 kills and 11 digs while Clarkson had 39 assists and 11 digs. The Mavericks hit the road for their final non-league tournament of the season -- the GCU Invite.
- The Jackrabbits fell to 3-6 overall after going 0-3 at the Lumberjack Classic in Flagstaff, Ariz., last weekend. South Dakota State will begin its home slate as it hosts the Comfort Suites University Jackrabbit Invitational Friday-Saturday. SDSU will take on Valparaiso and Milwaukee Friday and will close out the weekend with Kansas City on Saturday.
- Oral Roberts looks to break a five-match losing streak this weekend at the Diet Coke Classic hosted by Minnesota. ORU will continue to have a tough stretch against Power Five opponents as the Golden Eagles will face Clemson on Friday and the Gophers on Saturday. ORU currently ranks third in the nation in total digs with 761.
- Western Illinois' Aubrey Putman was a driving force for the Leathernecks this past weekend as she was named to the Wright State All-Tournament Team after recording 20 kills and 25 digs in three matches. The Leathernecks finish the preseason in Cookeville, Tenn., at the Golden Eagle Invitational where they look to break a four-match losing streak.
- The Mastodons fell to 3-8 overall after going 1-2 at the Dunn Hospitality Tournament in Evansville, Ind., this past weekend. Purdue Fort Wayne topped Eastern Illinois in four sets and went to five against Middle Tennessee. The Mastodons are set to play in the Cougar Classic in Edwardsville, Ill., this weekend where they will face Presbyterian, Central Arkansas and SIUE.