SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –The fight for the top six spots in the Summit League volleyball standings continues this week with all nine teams taking the court. The first serve kicking off the weekend goes up at 6 p.m. CT.
Around The League
- South Dakota pushed its win streak to 18 matches with the 12th sweep of the season over North Dakota Sunday. Reigning defensive player of the week Anne Rasmussen tallied 13 digs in the match and moved into 10th place all-time in league history in career digs (1,772). Rasmussen and the Coyotes return to the court Friday with a road match at Omaha followed by a home match against Denver Sunday.
- Denver completed its weekend homestand with a sweep over Oral Roberts Sunday. Following a career performance last week, Lydia Bartalo recorded a trio of double-digit kills games leading the Pioneers to three wins last week. She recorded two double-doubles through the three matches while leading the Denver offense in kills all three games with a total clip of .403.
- The Pioneers will head back on the road this weekend with a match against South Dakota State Friday and South Dakota Sunday.
- Purdue Fort Wayne fell 3-1 in a rematch to Denver Friday and swapped places in the league standings with Purdue Fort Wayne moving to third and Denver moving up to second. In September, the Mastodons defeated the Pioneers in four. The Mastodons out-blocked the Pios 10-4 with Rachael Crucis leading the defensive effort with 19 digs on the match. Katie Crowe guided the offense with 10 kills.
- Purdue Fort Wayne is back in action Friday in Fort Wayne against North Dakota State and Sunday against North Dakota.
- Omaha secured its fourth-straight sweep with a 3-0 win over Oral Roberts Tuesday evening. The Mavericks were able to bounce back from their previous 3-2 loss to the Golden Eagles. Omaha is now 9-2 in three-set matches. The Mavericks look to continue their win streak at Omaha Friday against first-place South Dakota.
- North Dakota State looks to bounce back from a 3-0 loss to Omaha as it begins a four-match road trip weekend starting at Purdue Fort Wayne Friday and at Western Illinois Sunday. The last time the Bison matched up with the Mastodons and the Leathernecks, NDSU swept both.
- This past weekend the Leathernecks took No. 3 Purdue Fort Wayne to five sets and secured their fourth sweep of the season Sunday defeating the Jackrabbits. Western Illinois looks to carry on the momentum as it hosts its second consecutive weekend at home to North Dakota State Friday and North Dakota Sunday.
- North Dakota suffered back-to-back sweeps this past weekend to undefeated South Dako-ta and Omaha. The Fighting Hawks return to action Friday at Western Illinois and look to break their three-match losing streak. UND defeated WIU 3-2 earlier this season.
- South Dakota State fell to 5-17 overall with a 2-8 mark in league play after dropping matches to North Dakota State (3-1) and Western Illinois (3-0). Makenzie Hennen tallied five kills and 16 digs for the Jacks against Western Illinois and is now only nine kills away from 1,000 career kills.
- The Jackrabbits return home to take on Denver Friday followed by Oral Roberts on Sun-day.
- Oral Roberts looks to break a seven-match losing streak Sunday as the Golden Eagles close a three-match road swing against South Dakota State. The last time ORU and SDSU met, the Jackrabbits took the win in four sets.