SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –The Summit League volleyball teams continue to fight for a spot at the league tournament. The top three teams remain the same as South Dakota sits atop the league standings followed by Denver in second and Purdue Fort Wayne in third. There are only a couple weeks left in regular season play to see who will Reach The Summit.
Around The League
- South Dakota extended its win streak to 21 and is now 24-1 and a perfect 13-0 in Summit League play. Tuesday the Coyotes beat in-state rival South Dakota State 3-0 clinching at least a share of the regular season title, their second in the last four seasons.
- The Coyotes will close out their home portion of the regular season on Friday against North Dakota State. A victory over the Bison would give USD the outright league regular season title.
- Denver clinched a spot in the league tournament after its weekend on the road 1-1 defeating South Dakota State (3-1) and falling to No. 1 South Dakota (3-1). Macy Carrabine led the defensive effort for the Pioneers in both matches totaling 43 digs through eight sets of play, averaging 5.38 digs per set. Carrabine led Denver with a team-high 22 digs against SDSU and followed up with another 22 against USD.
- Denver will return home to host North Dakota Friday and North Dakota State on Sunday.
- Purdue Fort Wayne went 2-0 this past weekend clinching a berth into the Summit League Tournament with four matches left in the regular season. Reigning offensive player of the week Madelyn Wurster and defensive player of the week Rachael Crucis led the Mastodons in both four-set victories. Wurster totaled 32 kills and a 4.00 kills per set average while Crucis finished competition with 46 digs for 5.75 digs per set.
- The Mastodons will be at home Friday against Omaha and hit the road for Oral Roberts on Sunday.
- During the month of October, Omaha went 5-4 with four-straight sweeps and all four of its losses coming in five-set matches. South Dakota broke the Mavericks' four-match win streak on Friday.
- The Mavericks had a week off before returning to action on the road. Omaha matches up against Purdue Fort Wayne on Friday followed by a home match against Western Illinois on Monday.
- North Dakota State finished the weekend with a 3-1 victory over Western Illinois. As a team, NDSU came up with 85 digs and 12 team blocks to complete a season sweep over the Leathernecks and move the Bison to fifth in the league. The Bison conclude a four-match road trip this weekend at South Dakota Friday and at Denver Sunday.
- •North Dakota claimed a five-set victory over Western Illinois Friday to earn its third league victory of the season. The Fighting Hawks paced the Leathernecks in both blocks (9-8) and digs (69-61) while accumulating a team hitting percentage of .300.
- UND returns to action Friday at Denver followed by a home match Sunday against South Dakota State.
- Western Illinois took a tough five-set loss to North Dakota Friday and a four-set loss to North Dakota State Sunday. Gabriella DePersio guided the defensive effort for the Leathernecks this weekend posting 37 total digs and 4.11 digs per set.
- The Leathernecks will hit the road for the final time in regular season play Friday at Oral Roberts followed by a match at Omaha Monday.
- South Dakota State split a pair of home matches this past weekend falling to Denver 3-1 and defeating Oral Roberts 3-1. Makenzie Hennen and Crystal Burk each registered double-doubles against the Golden Eagles while Tatum Pickar tallied a career-best 25 digs.
- The Jackrabbits continue a three-match road trip following a 3-0 loss to South Dakota Tuesday as they head to North Dakota Sunday.
- Despite a comeback effort, Oral Roberts dropped its only match of last week on the road at South Dakota State. CeCe Madison posted a double-double finishing with a team-leading 15 kills and added 12 digs.
- The Golden Eagles return home Friday against Western Illinois and Sunday against Purdue Fort Wayne.