ELMHURST, Ill. – IUPUI's Robert Murphy and South Dakota State's Joel Reichow earned Summit League Men's Cross Country Athletes of the Week for their performances during the week of Sept. 27-Oct. 3.
ROBERT MURPHY, IUPUI
Sr. // Warsaw, Ind.
- Collected his fourth career Cross Country Athlete of the Week honor and third of the season
- Won the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational by over 13 seconds with a five-mile time of 24:19.4
- Became the first IUPUI runner to collect multiple individual wins in a season
- Helped his team to a third-place finish in a field of 24 teams despite missing one of team's top runners
JOEL REICHOW, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // White Bear Lake, Minn.
- Earned his third Athlete of the Week award of the season and sixth career accolade
- His six career honors tie for the fourth-highest total in league history
- Won the SDSU Classic with an 8k time of 25:31.22, second-fastest in the league this season
- Helped team to victory in event
Also nominated: Sam Williamson, Fort Wayne; Cameron Peterson, Oral Roberts; Eldon Warner, South Dakota
Previous Recipients: Sept. 6 – Robert Murphy, IUPUI; Sept. 13 – Joel Reichow, South Dakota State; Sept. 20 – Robert Murphy, IUPUI; Sept. 27 – Joel Reichow, South Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.