By: Aubrie Laufenberg
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – North Dakota State's Evan Kottsick and South Dakota's Megan Billington garnered The Summit League Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors for their respective performances during the season-opening weekend. This marks the first honor for Kottsick, while Billington picked up her second.
Evan Kottsick, North Dakota
Junior | Fargo, N.D.
- Won the Bison Open to earn his first career cross country individual title
- His 18:32.0 finish marks a 6K personal-best time
- Won the race by a 23-second margin and cut 58 seconds off his Bison Open time from last season
Also nominated: Logan Kitchen (Purdue Fort Wayne), Braden Clapp (Oral Roberts), Eldon Warner (South Dakota), Micah Mather (South Dakota State)
Megan Billington, South Dakota
Senior | Grand Island, Neb.
- Garnered her first career individual title at a collegiate cross country meet
- Led USD to the team title at the Augustana Twilight meet for the third-straight year
- Broke the Yankton Trail Park course record for 5,000 meters with a time of 17:12.50 and improved her 2017 time by 32 seconds
- Her time is a 5,000-meter personal best on a cross country course
Also nominated: Jessica Romero (Oral Roberts), Emma Rafuse (Purdue Fort Wayne), Kelby Anderson (North Dakota State), Ellie Friesen (South Dakota State)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.